WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Which POS (Point of Sale) system to use?

ValienValien subscriber Posts: 7
Hey everyone,Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year (especially those in Retail!). I`m working on a new project that we are gearing to launch in this coming quarter. What I need to know is what POS system do you use and/or recommend?We use Peachtree Accounting for our main accounting software but it doesn`t include any decent POS software. We`ll be running off 1 register for now.Any ideas?thanks!~Allen

Comments

• JohnnyBravadoJohnnyBravado subscriber Posts: 1
    If you only have one store and one register then you should just go with one of the standard shrink-wrapped POS systems. Once you get into having a multi-register and multi-store configuration you will need to look at other options.

I would recommend Microsoft Point of Sale. It is inexpensive and has good support. Be aware that there are two POS applications from Microsoft. The Microsoft Point of Sale application can be purchased online from someone like Amazon. The other is much more expensive and is only sold by resellers.

Good luck! And when you are ready to go to a multiple store configuration let me know.
  • ValienValien subscriber Posts: 7
    Yup, right now it`ll only be a 1 store/register operation. If all goes well could explode into larger things...thanks for the info. I`ll look into MS POS.~Allen
  • LauraGlynnLauraGlynn subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Allen-
    I have several clients that use QuickBooks POS.  We are able to integrate  QB with the online shopping cart (Xcart) so that everything syncs (from site to POS and back) automatically.  Huge time savings not having to manually update inventory.
    I am sure that there are other options that do this...I am just most familiar with QuickBooks.  Whatever your status now I would make sure that you have the integration option for when you expand. 
    Good Luck and Happy New Year!
  • jlaingjlaing subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Allen,My company provides a web based point of sale service you should check out. We have a free version that would work well in your situation. Our free version is perfect for 1 register and up to 5 employees. Some advantages of our product are:1) We run the software for you. You don`t have to install anything or do any data backups, we handle it for you. All you need is a computer and internet connection.2) No upfront costs. You can use the free version for as long as you like. When your business grows you can easily upgrade (from $29-$99/month).3) First month of support is free. We`ll help you get up and running. After the first month unlimited support is $50/month.I would be happy to put you in contact with some of our current customers if you`d like to talk to someone that is currently using our system.Good luck with your new business!
    jlaing2007-1-5 12:41:9
  • enyceexdannyenyceexdanny subscriber Posts: 0
    It really depends on the prospective scale of things.I`d recommend looking into a application that`ll be future proof. (e.g. multi location interconnection, remote management/monitoring and etc)Although not as known as others, posmatic pos seems to be great - in terms of functionality, usability and design. Alot of restaurants and stores seem to use their software in the nyc area. Had the opportunity to view it in action in one of the restaurants I had dinner at. Seems stable and I liked it.http://www.posmatic.com</A>

• retailboy603retailboy603 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi! If you still need an effective POS system, I strongly recommend the CSS LivePOS system. I run kiosks and I have experiences with several systems and by far this is the best one. First of all, as the owner of the business I`d like to monitor my branches regularly. Using LivePOS I can do this without going to each branch because it is a web-based and a PC-based system. Information is passed on to me real-time through the internet. I can even check sales data even when I`m on vacation.
     What`s good about it is, LivePOS offers a turnkey solution where you`re entitled hardware, software, and tech support under one monthly bill. I can`t explain how easy it is to use. My not-so-tech-savvy employees learned how to use the system in 2 hrs. It`s a nifty system. You should check it out. I don`t have all the details but here`s the website: www.livepos.com.

Hope this helps!
  • letratistaletratista subscriber Posts: 0

Hi! If you still need an effective POS system, I strongly recommend the CSS LivePOS system. I run kiosks and I have experiences with several systems and by far this is the best one. First of all, as the owner of the business I`d like to monitor my branches regularly. Using LivePOS I can do this without going to each branch because it is a web-based and a PC-based system. Information is passed on to me real-time through the internet. I can even check sales data even when I`m on vacation.
     What`s good about it is, LivePOS offers a turnkey solution where you`re entitled hardware, software, and tech support under one monthly bill. I can`t explain how easy it is to use. My not-so-tech-savvy employees learned how to use the system in 2 hrs. It`s a nifty system. You should check it out. I don`t have all the details but here`s the website: www.livepos.com.  Hope this helps!

I`m a point-and-shoot camera dealer and I have 15 locations and I`m also using the CSS LivePOS system. I agree with retailboy603 and this POS system helps me manage my business anytime, anywhere.
    http://www.livepos.comletratista2/10/2009 10:35 PM
  • dottisupredottisupre subscriber Posts: 0
    Okay. I LOVE talking about POS systems cuz it`s the one thing I KNOW !!!!!
    I hear a lot of talk about Microsoft Dynamics POS, Intuit QuickBooks POS, MYOB POS... WRONG ANSWER!!!!!  These are all LINEAR systems which means they are not good for touch screens if speed is something you want.
    Now for non-linear systems, there`s quite a few CHEAP software (sometimes even free) out there.  DON`T get these!  The support for these are little, and once you have an inventory database with a dodgy software (and its protected), and it CRASHES, how are you going to transition it??? It will cost hundreds of hours of WASTED time, and you will be plagued for the rest of your life!!!!  Go with a software that will use industry standards for databasing, etc.
    So you only have a few software left, you can either go and steal the Coles/Woolworths POS system software (impossible), or go for Aloha by Radiant Systems, or ChikPOS Checkout System. Aloha is much more expensive, and ChikPOS is available off the shelf.
    Furthermore, ChikPOS is a Jeremy Shum Invent so its a quality Aussie product too - helping the economy.  The features are also endless... multi-language support, managerial decision making reports, not locked to hardware, fully multi-touch (like iphone), external monitor support, xbrl compliant, auto-generation of online store, can advertise "related products", corporate chat support, show time/date/news on external screen... it`s just top stuff. AND it`s Windows 7 compatible!SO GO CHIKPOS!!!!!!!
  • sasiksasik subscriber Posts: 0
    Pathfinder is a leading retail software solutions provider in India,
    APAC Regions & Middle East and provides end to end solutions for
    retail automation, retail sales and inventory management, products
    management and planning.
    Ref: http://www.pftec.com
  • groanwowgroanwow subscriber Posts: 0
    I would definitely like to use dis software.....
    Accounts Software
  • SarahrsSarahrs subscriber Posts: 0
    It is quite difficult to give a perfect answer for what you have asked, what I can suggest you is this pos software according to my experience is reliable and available at a reasonable price. There is no right or wrong, you have to compare it with the pos you know and decide the best for yourself.
  • sakshisyansakshisyan subscriber Posts: 0
    Possible pos - Highly recommended and currently using the same.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    As per my Analysis Spectrum POS is a complete solution the best point of sale (POS) software for any retail businesses. 
  • CarenCaren subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    It’s one of the biggest decisions you will make in your business—choosing a cash register or Point-of-Sale (POS) system. It’s certainly not an easy choice for a start-up, but in the long run it could be the technology that really helps to build your business whether it’s in the restaurant or retail space.

Come give Bepoz a look: Bepoz.com