WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What can I do to protect myself when setting up my website?

nannette9nannette9 subscriber Posts: 1
I`m a newbie to the forum. I don`t know if there is a solution to my problem, but if there is I figure someone on here would have suggestions.
I have been asked to start giving motivational speeches to colleges this fall. Instead of doing this on the side, I have decided to make it an official business.  I am in the process of developing my website but have run into a couple of issues.
I know there is no certainty but how can I protect myself regarding online stalkers/psychos?
Specifically
1. As I will be running the site from my home,  how do I deal with the Whois issue? I don`t want my home address to be easily visible, but I also don`t want godaddy to own my domain. How do I get around this?  Should I switch to a different host or do all own your domain when you try to make it private?
2. Also, when corresponding with potential clients, will they be able to pinpoint my exact IP address, and as a result my exact location?
Right now, I will have an online form for potential clients to request me.  I haven`t password protected it because it would reduce my client base to those I have directly marketed to...but now I don`t know...
As a young female, any suggestions would be so appreciated.  A female speaker on the college circuit had a problem with stalkers last year and I`m trying to be proactive. I know this isn`t a typical question, but I need suggestions. Thanks!

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    If you have a PO Box, you could get your domain registration information changed so that your address that appears is your PO Box. Check with your registrar about any changes you want to make. If you don`t have a PO Box, and you obviously should not  falsify information, ask if they can suggest an alternative option for you.
    As far as your home address linked to your IP address, from what I have read it is almost impossible to connect an IP address and a home address.
    I`m not sure what the point is in putting a password protection on a form page, unless I`m misunderstanding you. The form just gathers information, then forwards it via email, or adds it into a database, so there really shouldn`t be any issues with your personal privacy; possibly the only thing that could be gathered from a form is an email address, depending on how the scripting is done.Webline5/26/2008 8:45 PM
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Nannette,
    Webline is right about the form.. there really is no issue ther. As far as domain registration, you could adopt the private registration in your account. If you need assitance,contact the folks you have it registered with and they can handle it for you. Or a PO Box would work.  You will be fine nannette, don`t worry.

Erin
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Nannette, you can elect to go with private registration. That won`t affect the ownership of your domain. It will still be in your name. It`s just that your personal information won`t be made available to the public.

Another option would be to get a P.O. box from the UPS store, or some other pack & ship franchise. This will automaticaaly give you an alternative street address that you can use. Also, instead of using your home phone number, use a cell phone.

But to have real credibility, you really should publish your contact information on your website. Using the steps I outlined above will give you added security and peace of mind.

Dale King
    DaleKing5/26/2008 9:48 PM
  • nannette9nannette9 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of getting a box and the cellphone idea is a good one.  What about the IP? Can they not tell my exact location? 
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Nope, you git it spott on Charlei

Erin

P.S. Hi Dale!
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    If you have a PO Box, you could get your domain registration information changed so that your address that appears is your PO Box. Check with your registrar about any changes you want to make. If you don`t have a PO Box, and you obviously should not  falsify information, ask if they can suggest an alternative option for you.
    As far as your home address linked to your IP address, from what I have read it is almost impossible to connect an IP address and a home address.
    I`m not sure what the point is in putting a password protection on a form page, unless I`m misunderstanding you. The form just gathers information, then forwards it via email, or adds it into a database, so there really shouldn`t be any issues with your personal privacy; possibly the only thing that could be gathered from a form is an email address, depending on how the scripting is done.

Second the PO Box.
    #2 Depends on how you will be communicating with your clients?  VoIP?  AIM(Messaging)? e-mail?
  • nannette9nannette9 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone!  You have put my mind at ease.  You are an incredible group of people!