WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

SmallBizExcel.com feedback please

JeffMooreJeffMoore subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Website Critique
This is my second post for feedback on SmallBizExcel.com.  I REALLY appreciated the feedback I received after my first post a couple of weeks ago and have made significant changes to my website since then.  After reading posts in a couple of other forums I decided to add a basic introduction to business principles page 10 Principles for Small Businesses from which I will link to calculations and lessons covering specific topics.  Target group is small business owners and those who are just getting started.
I appreciate feedback on the following:
> Site design/layout
> Content: do you see where this will provide content useful to the target group?
> What is the best way to get more ideas from people online?

Regards,
Jeff Moore

SmallBizExcel.com

JeffMoore3/22/2008 8:57 AM

Comments

• glasscdaglasscda subscriber Posts: 0
    Craig,

There`s an old saying - be careful what you ask for....seriously though - great feedback, thank you!!

Before responding to your particular suggestions, in response about Excel and the complexity of making a website (or book) about it:  My feeling is that the tool is so complex and there are so many general sites/books about using Excel that it is hard to stand out in the crowd.  I think targeting a specific audience and giving them just what they need is important.  Even the scope of Excel for small businesses may be too broad...

On your specific notes:
    > Tagline in passive voice:  This is one of the few points on which I respectfully disagree.  I think starting with "Practical Guide..." is more compelling, though I would be interested in what others think as well.

> Clicking on the logo/banner to go to the home page - great idea!  easy to do - I just implemented and uploaded it.

> Each of the 3 key points on the home page pointing to a lesson: great idea - that one is on my to-do list.

> Pricing transparency:  my strategy right now is to build useful content to attract an audience and add per-charge items such as videos and downloadable pre-built spreadsheets.  I think you make a good suggestion about reassuring people up front what is for free so they trust investing their time.

> Using Corporate jargon terms like fixed and variable cost up front:  great sugestion!  I will look at ways to rephrase this to make it easier for the non-business person.

> Distracting flow: agreed again.  I was trying to make sure people looked at the background information to help the lessons go more smoothly.  I`ll think about how to keep this from being misleading.

> Ernie`s Story: you`re right again, it needs a better title (just changed it).

> Your general comments about the flow and organization:  I agree it needs improvement.  I`m still working through ideas on the general layout, and I think your idea of laying out the flow graphically is again a great one.

Thanks again Craig!
    glasscda3/22/2008 4:10 PM
  • JeffMooreJeffMoore subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Stan!  Yes, alot more work to get done over the coming weeks.  My wife is starting to give me more editing feedback now.

JeffMoore3/22/2008 8:18 PM