WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

help creating a site

love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
So I signed up with host monster
I was really disappointed with site builder with just like 10 templates. So i`m having to build on my own. I am learning to use their site builder which seems okay but got any tips?
also can I use any clipart I find on the internet because they had none for me to use.
do I need to save the pages off somewhere else? or just rely on backups on the host? I am VERY new to this.
thanks!

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    You can do an online search for clip art, there are tons online. Just check the licensing on them to see if there are any restrictions. 
  • love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
    how do I check the licensing? will it be apparent?
    Does anyone know how I can create a logo?
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Most sites that allow you to save and use graphics will have some type of licensing or usage rules. Or hire someone to create graphics for you; there are several here on SUN that do great work.
  • TexaderoTexadero subscriber Posts: 0
    do I need to save the pages off somewhere else? or just rely on backups on the host? I am VERY new to this.
    You should keep copies of your files backed up on your computer and probably somewhere else that is secure. That can be on CDs or with an online backup service.If something goes wrong with your hosting company, you want to have the agility to quickly switch somewhere else. Backing up your files outside of your current host will give you that flexibility.
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9

So I signed up with host monster
    I was really disappointed with site builder with just like 10 templates. So i`m having to build on my own. I am learning to use their site builder which seems okay but got any tips?
    also can I use any clipart I find on the internet because they had none for me to use.
    thanks!

First of all, welcome to the on-line world !!
    Now, just what type web site are you looking to build and create? E-commerce, informational, ... what?
    If you are attempting to build an e-commerce site on your own ... IMHO - STOP !!!
    E-commerce web sites are NOT for the faint of heart, the under-capitalized (those with very little money), or those that have not researched their niche market well.
    With all that said, please share with us what exactly what you want to do.
  • love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
    it`s actually just an informational website. Somewhere for people to find information for kids birthdays and maybe later some wedding info. As a parent and helper to weddings it`s been hard to find a good site with detailed info.
    I hope later that maybe people will advertise if I can ever make the site big enough.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    If you get stuck, let me know. I would be willing to give you a hand.
    Erin
  • bytenrambytenram subscriber Posts: 9
    love777,
    Do you have any examples of websites you have to show us? 
    Have a design in mind?  If so, can you supply us with a picture of it?
    I would be more than willing to help you on this project if needed.
    Also, any website is tricky...that doesnt mean you cant do it yourself.  You might want to research WEBSITE TEMPLATES and download a free WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) program that way you can just put text and pictures where you want it, and the program will do the HTML for you.
    I have personally used thetemplatestore.com in the past for templates to work off of.  templatemonster.com is another great site for templates.  these are paid templates and they give you rights to the images etc. try a demo of dreamweaver from adobe.com.
    Hope this helps you some.

• CarbonInterfaceCarbonInterface subscriber Posts: 0
    I would suggest looking into getting a professional to help you.Do it yourself ends up looking exactly like what it is, which is not what you want your customers to see.