WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Help me bring my Moms Indian Chili Masala to market

StamiStami subscriber Posts: 6
edited May 2007 in Selecting a Business
My mom makes an incredible Indian Chili Masala (old family recipe).  I thought, hey why not make a business of it.  What do you all think, and where do I start?  Fresh homemade ingredients, and incredible taste....I think the skies the limit.....who knows...
Thanks,
Rusty

Comments

• Options
    StamiStami subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks you all for your input.  I called the Florida Depart of Ag.  They will send me info about getting a permit to make and sell the product.  Apparently you cannot make the product in a home setting as you all mentioned.  It has to be an approved commercial establishment.  I have a friend who is opening an Indian restaurant in the area, maybe that is a possibility. 
    Do you think I can still make it and sell it or offer it for free "on the streets" or to neighbors to get a feel for its potential?
    Thank You for all of your help. 
  • Options
    ethnicommethnicomm subscriber Posts: 1
    You can  unofficially sample the products - at potlucks,  social gatherings etc  but if you are planning to brand it in any way, I would suggest you at least get liability insurance .
  • Options
    infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You should try getting a website done up and start doing SEO and place advertisements to get traffic. Next you should look for a logistic company to handle the deliveries.