WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New Startup Company - Contract work vs. Employee

ReelTeamReelTeam subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in New Member Welcome
I started a marketing/media business after 20 years in radio sales.  My client pays me a % of the ad dollars placed, but would like me to do various jobs over and above the media buying (ie. PR, branding) and would like to pay me in addition to the %.  He`s offered to "employ" me for these tasks, or pay me my hourly rate.  Any benefit to being an "employee" (w/no benefits, fyi)?  Which position provides me the greater oppty. to earn more?  Thank you!
Denise Rouleau
Reel Marketing & Media

Comments

• bodytherapybodytherapy subscriber Posts: 1
    It seems the greatest benefit to you would be running this work through your company especially if this is going to be the first of many.  This would give you the ability to work under the cover/umbrella of your business entity.
    But then again this wholly depends on your goals for your business. If this is inline with the goals of your business then I think it`s a great opportunity for your business to shine with more in it`s portfolio as opposed to just on your resume (as an employee). I`m not entirely sure but I`ll throw this out there anyway. Perhaps someone can comment on this more. As an employee you may not be able to claim recognition for the work you do for them. However, a contract between the two companies and it seems there could be more than just one, it seems you would definitely be able to claim recognition for the work you do for them at the business entity level as opposed to an individual resume level. Provides you more leverage for your business, more marketing potential, more credibility as a company...
    Financial benefits I suppose depends on what the difference in pay will be since you won`t receive any benefits, relying on self-provided benefits in either scenario. 
    Just my two cents.  Hope it provides something thought provoking   Good luck!
  • ReelTeamReelTeam subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you very much for your responses.  Very, very helpful.  I appreciate and value your input.

• nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Just my thoughts,
    As an employee, your employer might want to limit who you can work for.  You might wind up working only for that employer.  Thus, you would loose a lot of other clients that could pay more for your services.