WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A little investing help!!

Gator051Gator051 subscriber Posts: 2
edited November 2007 in Startup Funding
I`m about to receive my inheritance money and I`m not planning to blow it! Any tips on investing would be greatly appreciated. Stocks, bonds, business.. etc.

Comments

• CookieMonsterCookieMonster subscriber Posts: 0
    Hire a professional from a AAA brokerage.
  • Gator051Gator051 subscriber Posts: 2
    I may be inversting in Blockbusters stock, their new Ceo who was hired in july seems to have a vision to turn things aroung with the company. their stock is going for about $4.00 right now
    That was one of my plans. I was thinking about just locking it up in a cd until im finished with college. What you said is very true, there are always opportunities in the future.
    Gator05111/17/2007 2:03 PM
  • johnqhjohnqh subscriber Posts: 4
    Last time I checked, this is an startup forum, not an investment/finance forum.
    However, since you asked, it depends on your age, family condition, and goals. My suggestion is to listen to Bob Brinker`s Money Talk (just a radio show). Don`t listen to buy and sell suggestions. However, it is a good way to understand financial planning and investment. You can download past shows on the website.
    http://www.bobbrinker.com</A>
    Is there an investment forum?
  • SaintQSaintQ subscriber Posts: 1
    Good day to you Respective Investor, How about a Monopoly Reality Game? I`m Organizing a Monopoly Business Plan, I have the Business plans, I have Property Offers on the table Yet the Finanacing is too slow... Are you Game
  • TammyrbTammyrb subscriber Posts: 0
    When making a decision about your inheritance it is very important to invest in your future. You can do this with an Annuity and receive monthly income. If you need assistance feel free to email me with any questions or concerns at tammyb26354@yahoo.com.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Good day to you Respective Investor, How about a Monopoly Reality Game? I`m Organizing a Monopoly Business Plan, I have the Business plans, I have Property Offers on the table Yet the Finanacing is too slow... Are you Game
    Are you seeking to raise capital?
    Good Morning Respective Investor, Happy Holidays to you and your Family.
    Yes I am in the proccess of raising capital, I would preferr to network, and Colaborate with potential Investors who have the capital and are interested in Purchasing property in Historical
    Western N.Y. Can you Point me in the right direction? I am not looking for Mortgage Brokers.
    Im Looking for Visually Incorporated Professionals...
    Happy Holidays To you, Are Interested in playing Reality Monopoly?
  • scoobyscooby subscriber Posts: 0
    I have an Idea it might worth a lot of money if you are intrested
  • ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
    Gator051,

Just to get this thread back on track... your ability to keep your money and grow it, is the key.  I suggest a few things:
    1. Find a financial/wealth manager that doesn`t make their money on your transactions, but instead just charges a service fee. They need to be motivated to help you, not increase your transactions. Of course, get many references.
    2. Read on the subject - so many books are out there. Read enough of them until you find a common thread that you and your gut instinct agrees with.
    3. Get in the right psychology - books like Richest Man in Babylon and Think & Grow Rich.

When investing... prudence, consistency and persistence are the way to go.  Best of luck!
    ObsidianLaunch11/23/2007 7:14 AM
  • consumertreehouseconsumertreehouse subscriber Posts: 11
    Personally I stay away from stocks, only because they are not guaranteed and you can lose all your money overnight. I come from a real estate background, 3rd generation real estate investor, real estate is a great way to invest your money, especially in today "buyers" market.I recently recieved a large inheritance, the first thing I did was throw all of it into a high interest rate savings account. Then looked at investing options, so as the money sat in the bank, it grew, until I was ready to invest. I found, after hundreds of hours of research, that Timberland Investments are an amazing investment. Basically you buy a large track of land with timber on it, as the timber grows the value goes up, until the timber is ready to harvest. Timberland Investments are long term investments and not a make quick money investment. I went through www.fountainsrealestate.com, which sells timberland investments. I purchased a several hundred acre tract of timber through them for a really low price. The land is registered under a use value land trust, which gives me huge tax breaks on the property. The track of timber that I bought also has several hundred sugar maple trees on the land that will be large enough to contract out to sugar maple producers in the next 2 years. So the track of timber that I bought has at least 2 ways to produce income over the years. I can also conract the land to hunters as well, but I am not sure I want to this.Message me if you want more information.
  • RoblueRoblue subscriber Posts: 0
    My suggestion to you is to put your inheritance in a savings account, and then go learn everything you can about investing and money management.  Then pretend to be poor and go talk to a fee-based Certified Financial Planner. When you have some basic financial education then you will be able to make some smart decisions on how to invest your money.  You don`t need to act now, there will be great investment opportunities in the future!

This is excellent advice.  At least, while you are becoming knowledgeable enough to make an educated investment decision, your inheritance money is still at least making an interest.  Making money while you decide, doesn`t sound bad at all.
  • sokogoosesokogoose subscriber Posts: 0
    If you are still in college then I`m assuming you have a few years left before worrying about making a immediate fortune or retiring. Sounds like you might be in a very comfortable situation. So take your time. Get an education. Maybe a few finance courses allong with your major as electives.

If you have money that`s burning a hole in your pocket then consider investing in something that`s difficult to lose or destroy. Try land or real estate. If you`re not in a rush to turn your good fortune into immediate profits then invest in something that they aren`t making any more of... land. I haven`t seen too many many people go wrong here. Just don`t buy any swamp land or bridges.....

And if you have enough to spread around and you really want to buy some stock, look at Randgold Resources Limited - American Depositary Shares  ( GOLD - NASDAQ )  
    sokogoose12/13/2007 1:02 AM