WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Aligning Yourself with a Business

ShyEntrepreneurShyEntrepreneur subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in Selecting a Business
I am curious as to how people decide that a potential business aligns with who they are. It seems to me many chase the all mighty dollar and forget to pursue a venture that fits them as an individual.

So, how did you decide your company was going to be the business worth pursuing?

Comments

• Options
    benne13benne13 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the great response Biz. I never really thought about buying a small business and trading up later as your skills grow.
  • Options
    IndahIndah subscriber Posts: 0
    Great post! I?m just starting out in community management/marketing media and trying to learn how to do it well - resources like this article are incredibly helpful. As our company is based in the US, it?s all a bit new to us. The example above is something that I worry about as well, how to show your own genuine enthusiasm and share the fact that your product is useful in that case.
    Best iPad 3 Cases and Electric Cars Web
  • Options
    GaryBarzelGaryBarzel subscriber Posts: 1
    It really depends on where you stand with regard to your current job. Some people start off with a job just to make ends meet. if there is growth opportunity then being a dedicated worker will take you to the next level, eventually making a career out of it for yourself. Now this may not be something that you envisioned yourself doing in terms of business but this pays your bills and helps you through life's financial struggles.
    On the other hand if you are at a point where you want to start your own business, then you're better off following your passion and figuring out a way how to make a career out of it. When times get rough and money isn't flowing in the way you would like it to, the difference between getting through something like that and quitting, is something that you are passionate about. If it's not something you enjoy, what's going to help you pull through day after day, when you are seeing no return.
  • Options
    StartUpCoachFLStartUpCoachFL subscriber Posts: 8
    Shy,

In the world of being an entrepreneur there are No clear lines. You must be realistic about who you are and what you want to do. A new business can consume you very quickly. If you do not like what you do you will want to stop or find other things to do with your time. Make your business something you love and if you make money you will love it more.

Ken
  • Options
    ShyEntrepreneurShyEntrepreneur subscriber Posts: 1
    ken,
    i realize not doing what one loves will leave someone yerning for more, what i am curious about is the means by wich people have decided their business was the right one for them.
  • Options
    StartUpCoachFLStartUpCoachFL subscriber Posts: 8
    I was trying not to outright sell my book but that is the whole premis. I outline how to find your match in easy to understand stories. One is that you might like bikini tops but can you make a living in that business?
    Www.startfromwhereyouare.com