WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need ADVICE on target market and website building

ChallengeUrselfChallengeUrself subscriber Posts: 6
Hello All,
    Finally, I have started working full-time (after quitting my job) towards my first new venture (kind of exciting!!)- a career guidance website for recent grads (who aren`t very clear on which career path they gotta choose keeping their long term goals in mind etc). I did research the market and couldnt find good websites on the topic and since I have been contacted by lots of people for career advice and also I have lot of good ideas to incorporate from my diverse experiences --I choose this topic to explore on the net. I have lots of questions though with regard to my new venture and i hope to get advice from other experienced entrepreneurs
  Q1. Since I am in India, do you think I should focus on Indian consumers (students) or should I keep it general ???? (since I have been in USA for couple of years--I do have a idea of consumer base over there). For eg. in website should focus on the resources available in India or keep it global.
Q2. Also, what is the best way to organize ur web content? Are there any good examples available??
Q3. I am planning to earn income through google adsense and affiliate marketing and i am planning to keep the website free for the visitors.Are there any other better ways to earn income if i want to make my website free for usage???
Q4. Also, After reading alot, I am kind of confused now-- how to go about building ur website-- I am kind of fine with content but then what should be my immediate next step/steps??
Q5. How would I decide if I should include blogs, discussion forums, articles feeds and any other additions in my website?
Or
Q6. Can you think of any other creative features i could add to my consulting sort of website to make different then any other career guidance website??
Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions but I tried my best to get the answers but its just that there is too much and diverse info out there --which just doesnt take u anywhere. I am glad we have startupnation:)))
Thanks alot and hope to get as many advices as possible.
PriyaChallengeUrself1/13/2009 1:51 PM

Comments

• ChallengeUrselfChallengeUrself subscriber Posts: 6
    Dear arkitechebc and criagL,
     Thanks alot for your precious time and  advice. I guess the path is coming clearer and clearer-- always more persperctives from people of the similar mindset surely helps.
    Once thanks alot!!!
    Priya
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Finally, I have started working full-time (after quitting my job) towards my first new venture (kind of exciting!!)- a career guidance website for recent grads (who aren`t very clear on which career path they gotta choose keeping their long term goals in mind etc). I did research the market and couldnt find good websites on the topic and since I have been contacted by lots of people for career advice and also I have lot of good ideas to incorporate from my diverse experiences --I choose this topic to explore on the net. I have lots of questions though with regard to my new venture and i hope to get advice from other experienced entrepreneurs

Priya, the advice you received from other members notwithstanding, you should definitely start from scratch and read lots of small business information from SBA.gov, and SCORE.org.

You`ll discover some really great information and it`s free!

Also, Entrepreneur.com has some really great business start-up guides. But you`ll have to pay for those.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/14/2009 10:04 PM
    CraigL,
    Yup, I do agree to do that-- It does help to clarify the picture. Thanks alot for the support.
    Dear David,
     Thanks for your time and advice. I will look into these resources---every other resource helps!!!
    Priya
    Have anyone tried to develop their own website? Would you recommend someone else to do the same? How much time and money does it take to learn. What are the good resources/courses/training available---Have you tried any of these?
    The thing is- I was planning my time and budget along with future goals--- So if i learn how to develop my website--I will be free to develop next websites as well. So the training will be my long term investment--always knowledge is power if used correctly, isn,t it!!
    Good perspective ---thanks!!
    Well, I had a plan in my mind--- like after my first venture gets running, I will focus on my second venture which again is going to be a web based venture and also I have couple of other ideas if for some reason my second venture doesnt come to the surface. Even if my other ventures/ideas are not purely web based--- having a website to globalize and market my products/services-- definitely can give advantage, right!
     And looking at my current situation, hiring a web pro will cost me a fortune. So only options available for me i guess are-- get a good business partner (probably a web pro or someone with knowledge about developing websites) OR get myself trained in developing websites. I guess both will be advantageous in long run, right?
    I greatly appreciate your time and advice and  I apologize for confusion and not being very clear in my previous posts.
    Thanks again,
    Priya