WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Low Cost Website Promotion Tools

yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
edited March 2007 in Marketing
Hello folks,I am trying to come up a with an exhaustive, complete list of no-cost website promotion tools. By "no-cost" I mean stuff that can be done by the individual website owner and at most would require his/her time - not that your time isn`t valuable, of course. Anyway, so far I have:Press releasesBlogsForaPodcastsE-newsletterDid I leave out anything?Aleem

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    I suppose you could technically do those things at little to no cost, the question comes back to how effective they`ll be with no-cost solutions?
  • PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    I believe Wikipedia also makes ZERO profit.  Value in regards to a free service means that they "don`t waste your time".  Value at a for profit site means something totally different.
  • HeavenOnEarthHeavenOnEarth subscriber Posts: 0
    How about website optimization?  If you`re not familiar with this, it is the process of optimizing your site so that search engines can catalog and use it better.  This way, when people do a search for something on the web using google or yahoo, you pop up.  People use search engines constantly to find what they are looking for on the net.  If you`re not in the search engines, or you are not in there very well, than you`re not getting the most out of your website.  The main components to optimizing your site has to do with meta tags (which is apart of the code---which is what search engines read!)  Go to this website... it was very helpful to me: www.SelfPromotion.com.You can also Google "website search optimization" and get lots and lots of good information about it!  This I think is probably the most valuable tool to drving high quality to your site above anything else---more important than doing advertising... and it`s free!!! But it takes a lot of time!!!  Have fun!Teah
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    Hi guys,Thanks for your responses. I`m really solely trying to come up with a list for now.Thanks again for any other ideas,AleemP.S.That doesn`t mean I don`t want to hear your opinions. I am just petrified at the idea of this thread becoming a discussion on effectiveness of different methods alone, and at the end of the day, I don`t have my list. I had only seen the first two posts when I wrote the top part, so thank you very much to the great people who posted thereafter and to those who will follow. yourNAMEinDotCom2007-3-6 14:40:49
  • AddassaMariAddassaMari subscriber Posts: 2
    Socal Networking.  I know of  three that are free to join, In fact I belong to them.  With direct matches I currently have over 400 direct contacts linked to over 500,000 other people.  At adlandpro,  I can advertise to over 40,000 people. These are growing communities.  I just signed up with the third so I am not sure of the population.  Instant Buzz, well your ads will get a lot of exposure. Did I mention they are all free.  Free is Good!!
    www.directmatches.com/gail</A>
    http://community.adlandpro.com/go/nuyou/</A>
    http://www.bigdaddypays.com/adassamari</A>
    http://www.InstantBuzz.com/r/?gail42</A>
    How about social bookmarking like www.delicious.com</A>

• ruzzmanruzzman subscriber Posts: 0
    Consider adding to your list-
    Usfreeads.com
    Craigslist.com
    Both have huge followings and are loved by the search engines.
    Thanks for those responses.On the issue of do-it-yourself, I see your point. I really don`t want to argue the for of this but there are services like quick podcast that could make some of these tasks professionally do-able on your own. Then there are some highly multi-talented people but even so, you could be right. Trying to do all these things yourself might be stretching yourself too thin but maybe that`s another thread. For now, I`m trying to stick to the list. Thanks,Aleem
  • ImagingBuffetImagingBuffet subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello folks,I am trying to come up a with an exhaustive, complete list of no-cost website promotion tools. By "no-cost" I mean stuff that can be done by the individual website owner and at most would require his/her time - not that your time isn`t valuable, of course.

-snip-
    Aleem

Hi Aleem:

How about free consulting? Maybe a 5 minute free consulting session via phone for those who fill out a form (like a survey). Then you could point out your company`s strengths and possibly charge for further consulting. Hope that helps!Andrew Darlow
    Andrew,I like that one a lot because even if the prospect doesn`t become your customer, you`d have received some free market research.Brilliant!Thanks.
  • lindapret88lindapret88 subscriber Posts: 0
  • ridofastuffynoseridofastuffynose subscriber Posts: 0
    You can also Google "website search optimization" and get lots and lots of good information about it!