WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What kind of a scam business is this?

eGurueGuru subscriber Posts: 7
edited May 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
I recently clicked on a work from home add here on SUN and was asked to sign up with my email/name etc.  I have never trusted a business of such nature but this time I decided to move ahead.  The business turned out to be "WorkHomeNow".
A "member" would return your call and ask you to conference call into a "meeting" that lasts 25 minutes.  In this meeting they explain how you can get someone to join and that person`s "pledge" money will come to you.  In fact, you will receive the pledge from everyone else this person signs up and so on...not too different from MLM.  They do not explain how the other person makes money - since everything comes in your pocket.
There is no product, service, or unique value proposition.  It is simply get someone to join and pay a pledge and they do the same with someone else and so forth.  Sounds like a scam to me honestly...there are many other nuances that I may have skipped but the information I received left me with so many unanswered questions.
Any thoughts from anyone?  Heard of these guys or similar concepts?  Are people actually doing this?  Why?

Comments

• Options
    vegsoyladyvegsoylady subscriber Posts: 0

I had a friend just ask me to join something similar to this...I think it is a scam as well!
    Theresa
    www.candlemoney4mom.scent-team.com</A>

• Options
    VirtecomVirtecom subscriber Posts: 1
    FYI- This is a gifting program which by the way is illegal in all 50 States. It is based on PT Barnums concept of "a sucker born every minute." By the way PT never sad that but I digress.
    Can you make money.............. Yes
    But when the FTC cracks down on your group........ and they will. The fines will eat up anything you made. ignorance is not an excuse. Want more info Google "gifting Programs"Virtecom2007-5-2 11:10:30
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Virtecom... Not trying to appear aggressive or anything, but about your quote "sucker born every minute." Maybe you should stop Perpetuating the myth... try stating, "It is based on David Hannum`s concept of "a sucker born every minute." At least you did acknowledge PT was not the originator of the comment so often used. Did you know David Hannum was Barnum`s competitor? ...and now, back to you regularly scheduled post.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Cute CraigL... (not you... the comment. Others may find you cute, but you are not my type ... Although, we could Rock together sometime!)
    iouone22007-5-3 11:26:31
  • Options
    JMAXMarketingJMAXMarketing subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Yes I do have a remedy sign up for a real job at a real job posting site that is  going to charge a low, very low fee, less than a tank of gas to go job hunting locally. And they have real jobs that pay an hourly rate for Virtual Workers. No scam, this one I personally know the site owner! He has a coming soon place holder now it is opening soon maybe by May 21st 2007?Good luck job hunting!
    JMAXMarketing2007-5-15 15:21:25
  • Options
    MerchantServicesMerchantServices subscriber Posts: 4
    Here is a link to examples of schemes that you might run into.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme</A>

• Options
    Why is my friends web site associated with this reference to a SCAM? Googled and you end up with a link to this post? He is not opening a SCAM site he will have actual real jobs listed that real companies are advertising for help! In all fairness you should get that Link off of his URL listing?The site is not even open yet in is still under construction???

JMAXMarketing2007-5-15 15:24:12
  • Options
    I thank you so much for the information!  I had no idea! WOW!Thanks again,Gail