WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
edited March 2007 in Sales
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to share my day at QVC/American Express OPEN (March 8th) and give people the heads up for the QVC/Oprah appointment for March 29...
My appointment was at 11:00am. I went into QVC and it was a huge open place.  It reminded me of going into a trade show. 
They asked you to sign a release form in case they use your name, voice, performance, picture, photograph, film, audiotape and videotape.
Later, when it is time for your appointment (half an hour) before your scheduled appointment, they will tell you which line to get on.  They have 4 lines. One line for each category. The four lines are for: jewelry, clothing, make-up and home goods.  My product fell into home goods. 
When it is your turn, they lead you to an empty table that has a black cloth on it. My packaging stood out since it was in the colors of yellow and white.  But when I took my gloves out, it didn`t really stand out anymore on the black cloth.  So.. if you don`t think your product will pop with the black cloth, you should bring your own white sheet. 
They give you a few minutes to set up your products on the table.
Later, one QVC representative comes over and that`s when you start pitching your product. The rep was just taking down notes of what I was saying.  She had no comments.  Just listening to you.  Afterwards, she asks some questions and that`s about it. She told me that they will respond by email whether my item was accepted or not. 
I also tried giving her some free samples, but she said she was not allowed to take any samples at all.  Only the flyer.
Before going to QVC, I thought that I was going to pitch in a closed room, with about 3 or 4 QVC reps. But I guess I was wrong.  I just faced one person in an open area. 
Also, I found out QVC`s main customers are baby boomer women who like to purchase jewelry, make-up, and clothes.  Products that are geared toward men, children or babies are not necessarily a good match.
So...good luck to all going to QVC on March 29th!
Hope I shed some light!
Jeannie
 Jeannie2007-3-11 11:49:30

Comments

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Thank you very much for sharing!
  • JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    Well, the appointment I had on the 8th was actually a QVC working with American Express.  The one on the 29th is QVC working with Oprah.
    If accepted, then you`ll have a chance to get on air with your product.

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Great Job! Thank you for sharing. It must of been a great experience for you.
  • conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
    Thank you for the post. I was wondering how Qvc set it up 
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Thanks so much Jeannie.  As  you know from other posts, Dippy and I and a few others are doing the Oprah thing on the 29th so THANK YOU for sharing!!!  Great to know what to expect!  I`m sure we`ll be emailing on the 30th!  Best of luck to you and hopefully we`ll all see you (along w/ me...) on QVC
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for remembering SmudgeGuard! I will remember to keep you guys posted about my journey towards the big open market. It certainly is an experience to look forward to.
    And it`s my pleasure to help and share my experience with all!
    Jeannie

Hi Raisecapital02,
    Thanks for your nice comments and I`m definitely ready for the exposure! Bring it on!
    Jeannie

• KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Jeannie,
    Your experience going to QVC was exactly like the one I had last year. And, you are right about the fact that their market is not necessarily children friendly. Our product  is for all ages but I think they thought it was just for kids.
     Regardles of my experience last year at QVC, I will be attending the call in Los Angeles but at least this time I do know what to expect. And, I am hoping that Oprah will make the difference with regard to product. After all, she does have the Angel Network and we are selling Angels!
    Good Luck and thank you for sharing your experience!
    Kellee White
    www.angelheadquarters.com</A> Kellee2007-3-12 20:23:15
    Umm, I`m back Jeannie,I got so excited that this forum came up I forgot to ask my other questions.  Did you discuss price at all?  If not then, when?  In going through some of the other posts, I noticed a speaking time frame of 5-8 min.  Any help on this?
    Dear Greg,
    In the end, they will ask you what your retail price is and what the wholesale price is. That`s about it. They don`t try and talk business with you on that day. They said they will send you an email to let you know if they will accept your product or not.
    Hope this helps!
    Jeannie
  • storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Jeannie -
    Thanks so much for your response! The information you`ve provided is extremely helpful. I am kind of relieved that it`s not a panel of 3 or 4 people - but I wonder if the Oprah/QVC product search will be different. It should be a fun experience either way. Did they tell you how long you would have to wait to find out whether or not they have accepted your product?
    I am kind of anxious to find out whether or not my product will be something QVC will like. I would like to set up some appointments with craft chains, but I wanted to give QVC a shot first since the exposure would be great and give me some credibility.
    Thanks again Jeannie!  I can`t wait to hear everyone`s take on presenting to QVC. I think it is just a great opportunity to fine tune our pitching skills!

storybookstudio2007-3-15 15:25:40
    Hi Chris,
    I hope I get the magic email too, but I seriously doubt it.  After they told me that their customers are mainly baby boomer women, I figured I wouldn`t make the cut since my product is mainly for school-aged children.  That`s why, even though I have an appointment for the QVC/Oprah on the 29th, I decided to pass on it.
    Melissa,
    Let me know if the QVC/Oprah was any different.  They told me that I would get an email on April 27. So we`ll see.
    Jeannie
    Hi Greg,
    Thanks! I could definitely use marketing ideas for SmudgeGuard from great people here at SUN. Thanks in advance!
    By the way, there`s a roadshow taking place from The Big Idea Group. You guys should check out their website.  If they like your product, they can set up licensing.  I have an appointment with them in April.  In the meantime, I`ll keep working to find my one "YES" because people say, that I will come across a million "NO`s", But all I need is that one "YES". So I can`t wait until that day comes my way!  Jeannie2007-3-16 8:48:13
  • storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Greg -
    I know what you mean about stage fright. But I`ve decided I`m going to put the fact that I`m trying to sell them something in the back of my mind. I am really going to focus on demonstrating my product and hopefully that will calm my nerves!

• KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Chris, you are absolutely right--when we went to QVC last year we LOOKED CAMERA READY! I literally watched QVC for a month before to help me prepare.
    The difference for us this time is we have had this past year to really expose our product to so many people and have had such great responses. We are going in with no expectations but lots of confidence!
    Does anyone know if there will be any of Oprah`s people on site?
    Kellee
    www.angelheadquarters.com
    Hi Craig,
    First of all, how do you quote my words and place it in a box? I`ve been trying to do that, but can`t.  Please teach me.
    Second, I do see what you are trying to tell me about marketing a product differently according to different "needs". To tell you, some of my customers ARE grandmothers who bought SmudgeGuard for their left-handed grandchildren as gifts.  So that`s one way of marketing to the baby boomer women. 
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Jeannie