WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Selling products to a retail web site

JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
Hello SUN members.. I need some help...
I have contacted a couple of art website companies and briefly told them about my product.  One art company is interested and asked me to give them a sample for testing and evaluation.  They also said, "send ALL information regarding purchasing etc..." 

Comments

• Options
    SnoMonSnoMon subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi Jeannie,I am not too familiar with the art business, but as for selling to retailers there are a number of "etc"s they could be referring to.  For example, my retailer packet consists of all my products, product images, available sizes, available colors, wholesale prices, suggested retail, a credit application, ordering tips, shipping info, terms & conditions, and target market info.Again this is specific to my particular industry (retail clothing), but I`m sure there are many similarities regarding the "etc"s you are asking about.Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Jeannie,

When I was in the same situation I made no effort to hide the fact that
    I was new at this and didn`t know what I was doing. The way I look at
    it, they probably already know or will eventually anyway. That said,
    you gotta do what you`re comfortable doing.

Just yesterday my wife was telling me about walking
    into a local outlet of a national chain, talking with the management, leaving
    some samples and a sales letter. I reminded her of the first time she
    took our products into a store. She was so nervous she asked the owner
    for "backlash." He thought for a second and asked "don`t you mean
    feedback?" We still laugh about it.

Steve2006-11-29 16:11:2
  • Options
    Dear SnoMon,
    Yes, that is very helpful! I covered everything accept the credit application, ordering tips and terms & conditions from your list.  At least I know what some of the etc.. means now. Thanks!
    Dear Steve,
    Yes, I`m sure the retailer will be able to tell that I am new at this if we meet.  But since they only told me to mail them my samples and info, I figured, it gave me some time to find out from SUN what the usual retailer packet consisted of.   I`m sure, I will be just as nervous as your wife was.  
    Thanks! ...Jeannie

• Options
    I am offering a new and unique glove that eliminates smudges for left-handed people/artists when writing or sketching.  It protects the side of their hand from unwanted annoying smudges!
    Jeannie