WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Different Uniques? Google Analytics vs StatsCounter

SalemHSalemH subscriber Posts: 4
Hi StartupNation,
We use StatsCounter as well as recently (since two weeks ago) Google analytics to monitor our traffic.  I notice that our Google analytics uniques are always lower then the stats counter, even up to 20% in difference on a few days.
I remember reading somewhere about Digg referrals and Google having trouble with Digg on a few levels...perhaps that part of it? (I post our articles as well as others on searchles and Digg em as well)
Curious as to why / what and how to interpret this.
Thanks!

Comments

• sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Without knowing too much about the setup of your site you might want to double check that the StatsCounter and Google Analytics code are in the exact amount of web pages.
    If you need the `be all/end all` number, down load your raw web log files and run it through a log file reader software package.sddreamweavers6/18/2008 7:01 PM
  • SalemHSalemH subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi Aaron,
    Thank you for the reply, and that makes sense.  Will check all the code today.
    Regards,
    Update:
    No code is missing on StatsCounter or Google Analytics, even down to our article pages and case studies.
    More thoughts? The site is setup through standard HTML linking, we are looking at moving to php, but that has not been activated as of yet. http://www.designmyidea.com
    The difference in counted stats is somewhat minimal, and we don`t use our traffic stats to sell advertising, but, for purposes of marketing and tracking it would be great to solve.DesignMyIdea6/19/2008 4:21 PM
  • infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi Designmyidea,
    Not very familiar with StatCounter but maybe Statcounter counts hits from bots which I think GA doesn`t count. And on some days bots can make a lot of difference in the hits count.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Update:
    No code is missing on StatsCounter or Google Analytics, even down to our article pages and case studies.
    More thoughts? The site is setup through standard HTML linking, we are looking at moving to php, but that has not been activated as of yet. http://www.designmyidea.com
    The difference in counted stats is somewhat minimal, and we don`t use our traffic stats to sell advertising, but, for purposes of marketing and tracking it would be great to solve.

Here`s what I would recommend.
    1) Download and install a product called `WebLog Expert Lite`
    2) Download all your raw data files
    3) Run the log files through this program
    You will get way more solid traffic numbers from your log files than with the other two methods.sddreamweavers6/25/2008 6:15 AM
    I will use the program, looks like a neat little free tool. 
    It could make sense in relation to the "bot" counting, thank you for the replies.  Will update.