WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Homeworkers Wanted: Make Hundreds Weekly Stuffing Envelopes!!!

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited January 2009 in Home-Based Businesses
Since this is the season when a lot of people get ripped off, I thought that this was an important topic.
While browsing through a popular business opportunity magazine the other day, I noticed that one of the all-time classic scams seems to be as popular as ever. I`m talking about stuffing envelopes for money, of course.
I`m sure you`ve seen the ads where the companies claim they will pay you a dollar or more for each envelope you stuff, along with the fake testimonials of individuals claiming they make hundreds or even thousands of dollars per week stuffing envelopes.
I have four words for you: DON`T BELIEVE THE HYPE! Why would a legitimate company based in Anywhere, USA, advertise nationally for homeworkers to stuff envelopes, when they have thousands of individuals right in their own backyard that they can hire?
In addition, they charge you a $49.95 "application fee" for the privilege of working for their company. It just doesn`t make any sense. Especially when you consider the fact that nowadays there is state-of-the-art mailing equipment that can stuff thousands of envelopes in minutes for mere pennies apiece.
Here`s how the scam works: After you send in your aforementioned application fee, you will receive a letter basically instructing you to duplicate their success by advertising the same scam ad that you originally responded to.
Many people are so desperate to make money, without actually having to work for it, they`ll go along with the scam and end up ripping off other gullible individuals.
Anyway, that`s how the envelope stuffing scam works. Be wary of this and other homeworking scams. And remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn`t!

By the way, has anyone here been ripped off by one of these homeworking scams or know someone who has?
Dale King

DKing12/4/2007 1:21 PM

Comments

• Options
    LOL! I LOVE that envelope stuffing thing! I`m 55, and I remember first encountering it when I was 18.

Yeah, some of these scams have been around forever. A marketing colleague and friend of mine, Joe Ratliff told me he just stopped his neighbor for falling for this same exact scam. It`s absolutely amazing that people keep falling for these types of scams. When are people finally going to learn? There are no free lunches, and there is no such thing as easy money. You have to work for everything you get in life - EVERYTHING!!!

Dale King
    DKing12/5/2007 8:32 AM
  • Options
    I`d suggest that "classic" scams become classic because every new generation is just that---new. They haven`t seen or heard of the thing. That, and there are variations, which make it look slightly different.
    Then too, with three decades of school students going through the US education system, they`ve lost their critical thinking ability. Maybe they never learned it (probably more likely).
    Add to that the concept of no grades, no honors, and no special remark for students. They`re given everything for no effort, little study, and if they make a mistake, they get a do-over. To that end, I think they come to expect that all of life is benevolent, non-risk, and that everyone is essentially a wonderful person.
    I think we can add greed and desperation to the mix, as well. We`ll always have people who really want something for nothing (greed). And nowadays, with so much consumer debt (coming from the something-for-nothing of credit cards), folks are so over their heads in debt, they`re grasping at straws.
    And let`s not forget outsourcing, job layoffs, downsizing, and "operational efficiencies of the corporate enterprise."

All excellent points, Craig. Excellent!

Dale King
  • Options
    DBeaversDBeavers subscriber Posts: 0
    You left out the classic chain letter that has been updated to take advantage of the internet and PayPal.  Posted as the $6 letter or $6 biz-opp, they post all over forums and message boards, inviting people to join in, make PayPal payments to the names on the email, adding theirs to the bottom as they in turn post it to forums and message boards, hoping to receive the thousands promised them if they`d just follow the instructions.
    By switching from the mail to PayPal, it did actually eliminate the illegal use of the US Postal Service..
    What usually kills it, is the fact that they can post without sending a $1 PayPal payment to anyone. So if they are ethically challenged, this one seems to be a great fit.
    Dennis Bevers
  • Options
    You left out the classic chain letter that has been updated to take advantage of the internet and PayPal. 

Yes, I purposely left it out, because this topic is about stuffing envelopes. I get more people asking me about that more than any other scam. People honestly believe that there are companies out there that will pay them to sit at home at their kitchen table and stuff envelopes. Even when I point out that it`s a scam, some individuals still choose to belive otherwise.

Dale King
    DKing12/8/2007 8:20 AM
  • Options
    mattjensenmattjensen subscriber Posts: 0
    i did research on this once too... it was a total waste of time... i was like 17 at the time... oh the good old days...
    -m@!this rocks!
  • Options
    You mean if I send money to Nigeria, I won`t actually get the $20,000,000 they promise? LOL

Nope. I`m afraid not!

Dale King
  • Options
    FonsecaliuFonsecaliu subscriber Posts: 1
    Lol, scams are funny.
    Now they are doing phone calls from china telling you that you won a lottery but must send money for taxes and such. That is funny.
  • Options
    tanyaacatherinetanyaacatherine subscriber Posts: 0
    Internet home business opportunity is the best if you want to start a new business from home, learn how to earn money online, and stay at home and become your own boss. Online Surveys can help you jump start your business and start making money online.
    TanyaaBusiness Opportunities