WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Has Anyone Ever Thought of an MMORPG Business?

adamcadamc subscriber Posts: 11
edited January 2009 in Selecting a Business
Maybe some of you will know what I am talking about but I have a friend who "farms" virtual currency and makes about 1500 a week it took him a while to set-up but he does ok now.
Just curious if you guys have ever thought about anything like this I know I have thought about doing it for WoW

Comments

• JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
    From what I know about this field is that you would have a very tough time competing
    There are a lot of companies (mostly oriental, from what I`ve learned) who provide in-game support services such as money making and supply and other in-game services (such as powerleveling).
    The way I see it, the main issues you`d have to deal with would be:
    A. Time consumption vs money earned. It`s not easy and fast to do it, else everybody would. and prices get lower all the time
    B. Target market. Your target audience is mostly under-aged teens with little money to spare. (and usually no credit card)
    C. Reputation. People (especially the not so younger crowd. e.g. late teens) would suspect these types of services to be illicit, or simply just a scam (pay up and get nothing in return)
    If I were you I`d research this thoroughly before jumping in. But hey, that`s what I`d tell anyone going into business.
    Plus, you never know what idea would jump-start your career
    Hope this helped, and the best of luck
    Jmes  
  • ladyflguruladyflguru subscriber Posts: 2
    It also depends on what mmorpg niche your looking at.  I personally like simulations, there if sure if you have ever played the sims, is an entire site for downloads for that one game, would have made a good buck monetizing it.  I wouldnt know the first thing about WoW seeing as i dont think i should have a pay a fee to play a good game, i would look into trying out a little game called Secondlife, there are a plethora of ways to get money in that game, best of all its free and your not targeting a teenie audience, its a large adult audience (no teens aloud in area`s age restricted) and if you can find something to offer, including legit services (they have businessess like ford, gm and others that actually use this site for meetings) you can go out and have fun doing it and make money in the long run!
  • FFEMT284FFEMT284 subscriber Posts: 0
    Adam

Do you know anyone that could code one of these games up, I can show you several that are making alot of money to get your ideas going.

• infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Virtual currencies is a new way to make people part with their real money while paying exorbitant interest rates on the 'virtual currencies' that are loaned.