WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Question for Retail Owners

MrsB73MrsB73 subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Business Planning
Retail Owners!
This question will sound completely ignorant to you, so please keep in mind I am still in the early stages of my retail education!
When you purchase a POS system for your store, do you have to purchase a separate laptop/desktop computer for your office to "sync" or network with the POS?
I`m trying to figure out how I will use the POS system to track inventory, order more inventory, print reports, financials, etc.  I see that some of the POS systems have those capablilities, I`m just not sure if that is something I do right from the cash register or if it is networked with a computer in an office that I do the administrative work from.
Sorry if that isn`t clear, I guess I just need a brief lesson on how a POS system works and what else you need to go with it to run your business.

Comments

• MrsB73MrsB73 subscriber Posts: 2
    I actually looked at that one, and also the POS system from Microsoft.  I`m not at a point where I am ready to purchase it yet, I`m just trying to get my ducks in a row and learn as much as I can.  I was planning to purchase a laptop anyway, so it won`t really be an extra expense.
    Thanks for your help!!!