WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Copy right

BookerslittlegirlBookerslittlegirl subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2006 in Protecting Your Ideas

i sent in a money order for 35.00 to the libery of congress to copyright my book how long untill i recive my copyright certificate or is this to different places CopyRight office i need the numbers to publish the book

Comments

• BookerslittlegirlBookerslittlegirl subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you for your reply.But the very next day in the mail was my certificate that made my day
  • westnovawestnova subscriber Posts: 1
    I`ve been going back and forth between my three blogs and have found out a lot of interesting things about posts such as here at SuN. On one site at Sci Fi Studios in their tec. section there was a post that all posts are considered to be copyrighted by most leagal types. Having a copyright and a patent I try to follow this closely. I just got my Vantage press kit and they copywrite any submissinons that they get though it`s for a fee that they will charge you for publishing your book.Hope this helps.  Wes 
    i have learnd that when the publishing Co.go`s for your copyright paper it will cost you but how mush more the true cost is 35.oo there charge to you is 75.00 now why is that 
  • EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    Bookers LG,
    I`m only guessing, but I`d say that they are charging you for doing all of the footwork to get the copyright filed. I`d also say that $40.oo is very reasonable. Wait...Very Very reasonable! 
    I said there cost to me is 75.00 not forty to  me that is not reasonable but now i have a new problume asking help from people that know about sale-ing a book on line as an att-ment
  • EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    Bookers,
    I`m not against you here. Please let`s not turn this into an argument. If you employ a company for a service, it is more than just customary to pay them for the service(s) rendered. You can file a copyright yourself and save the fee or you can pay a company to do it for you. The same applies to a lot of services that offer to do the required paperwork for the registration of all sorts of business matters; Copyrights, Patents, Trademarks, etc.
    I wish you the best and I offer you my apologies if my previous post has raised your ire.
    Most Sincerely,
    Eric
    Hey bookers LG,  When you sent your manuscript to the copyright and trademark office all you did was register your book, so now you can do the circle "R" which denotes your copyright as having been registered which does give you added protection. That copyright is good for your lifetime plus 70 years and is assignable as part of your estate to an individule or a company you designate. In my case of a modular sculptur not only was the sculpture copyrighted but the modules as well so it was more important then a patent. In the case of books there is such a thing as fair use which means that parts of your book can be used as long as you are acknowlaged. Do not take this as leagle advice though.  Wes  
    Eric i was a little up-set but not with u after i read your post i add u to my buddy listas a go to for input thank you all for you in put
  • pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Just a footnote to westnova`s post.  The circled "R" represents a registered trademark, not copyright.  The circled "C" represents a copyright, and you can use that symbol whether or not the copyright is registered.
    Thank you for the clarification on that point. I just wanted to make sure that the lady working on the book and the people over at Vantage press who I`m working with can protect their ideas.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    i think the new copyright fee is $45 and not $30.
      your right the new price is 45 as of 8-1-06