WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Selling Source Code

JackieBlueJackieBlue subscriber Posts: 4
JackieBlue10/13/2008 10:32 AM

Comments

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Although,
    You did purchase the web site service / Development. You can not re-sell the coders intellectual property. Here is the issue: You hired him to code the web site for you, and I`m pretty sure that you gave him all your images correct?
    Well honestly, all that belongs to you is images and copyright. The code is his intellectual property and my suggestion would be to cut him in with a percentage lets say 35% of your revenue, if not you can get in trouble.. Try using Microsoft`s code. It`s the same principal.
  • Options
    JackieBlueJackieBlue subscriber Posts: 4
    JackieBlue10/13/2008 10:32 AM
  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Jackieblue,
    This is an issue that you have to decide for yourself and ask yourself? Am I doing what`s right? Picture yourself as the person that code the web site... How would you feel if someone reproduced your code and not get a penny off of it? Also, please read paragraph 2 where it says Int the event that the services and products created for this project are for any reason deemed not to have been work made-for-hire, the independent contractor assigns the employer all right, title, and interest....
    Ok basically what I am getting from this is: that since it was work-for-hire you can not reproduce or copy the code... Since it was work for hire.. I would check with a lawyer before jumping into something that may come back and stick you in the back...
    Best wishes
  • Options
    saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

SquareBit

SquareBit is the first to allow for the sale of products with deep Git integration. It’s neat. It’s also the easiest fee structure / most favourable to creators with a flat fee of 18%.