WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is Apache Tomcat totally free ?

aiflinaiflin subscriber Posts: 6
Folks,
    I am building a site using apache tomcat and some other open source products like mysql. Although everyone says it is free, I wanted if we can use them for commercial purpose like developing websites ?
Do I have to call those guys to find out ?
Any help on this will be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Ok first of all, this question is too naive. I don`t mean to be disrespectful in any way but Can I explain something to you.
    First of All Apache Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official
    Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet. In other words you are going to be developing in JSP Java Server Pages technology.
    Before you begin to develop I would suggest you do some research to see if .jsp is the correct approach to building a dynamic web site. As for Mysql, yes it`s free most web hosting companies offer mysql as their default open source database.
    BTW.. I host Apache Tomcat and Mysql, it`s the same as a regular Linux account.
    Hope this solves your mystery
  • aiflinaiflin subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks Edgar.
          I am already aware of all the things that you told about JSP and servers. I know tomcat is a servlet engine and it can be used to run JSPs/Servlets. I have been doing so.
    All, I wanted to double check was whether I can use the web server without any licensing issues.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    TomCat Apache/ MYSQL are Open Source They are under the GPL (general public license) that would be like saying if I use php would I have issues with licensing?