WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Opinion on Remote Computer Access

FunderbugFunderbug subscriber Posts: 5
I`m coming up on the end of my 30 day free trial of GoToMyPC.  I need remote access to my computer and it works pretty good.
Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, of this service?
Is there something better I should look at?
As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Comments

• johnqhjohnqh subscriber Posts: 4
    Why bother with third party apps? Use Remote Desktop.
  • olegoleg subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I agree with john - If you are using Windows, Remote Desktop is the way to go.  It`s free and as good or better as any 3rd party software.
  • ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    the only issue with remote desktop is that when your behind a firewall it simply doesnt work well. Using a thrid party app like GoToMyPC  automatically punches holes in the firewall for the remote system to work so the configuration part is easy for the user, especially if they are not technical. With that said I still perfer Remote desktop, but I`m computer savvy enough to use it.
  • NdunnNdunn subscriber Posts: 2
    I concur.  VPN is much more secure than opening ports.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Why bother with third party apps? Use Remote Desktop.Remote Desktop is Free... but anyone can hack your system... Anyone with the right knowledge can get into your Server/ PC... through a Multi-session or whats called a "concurrent sessions" by replacing your Termsrv.dll file, found in C:WindowsSystem32.... Once that`s in place.. the process is very easy, and it will allow for multiple users to log into your server.... Your best bet is to use a third party tool like "teamviewer"Nuevolution2007-10-30 4:12:5
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Good point!  And Remote Desktop is supposed to work even better with Vista.
    Vista Is Vulnerable.... Don`t use it... Although you might have to massage the code a little... trust me... its not 100% fool proof...