WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Someone Give Me a a kick In The Rear!

snrubsnrub subscriber Posts: 3
edited June 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hi Everyone!Well firstly, let me say, that this looks like a great community and a fantastic resource. I, like probably everyone here, am looking for some sort of solid business that I can run, preferably online.The problem is that i`m suffering from a little overload and i`m having trouble deciding upon an industry niche and business model. I guess i`m the poster child for analysis paralysis. I read an article earlier today that talked about funding VC applications and one of the things he said is that smart people of my generation don`t always have great ideas. Aparently, alot of us are FANTASTIC problem solvers but that finding our problems to solve can be a bit of an issue. That pretty much sums me up completely.I`ve had a couple of cracks at online business but things were pretty competitive in the respective niches which were mainly affiliate based. So obviously without a slew of traffic it was a bit of a failure.So here I am now looking for some ideas.I`m really looking for something tech based or online where I can put my techy type skills to work. Some people have suggested going into business for myself as a web designer but that really just ends up being me selling my time...which is great but doesnt advance me much from my current situation. I`m pretty analytical with great computer skills and a solid business background from working in insolvency.So if anyone would like to go and give me a kick in the right direction I would much appreciate it. Any and all encouragement appreciatedSteve

Comments

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Give you a kick in the REAR? Here you Go!!! KICK...
  • Options
    snrubsnrub subscriber Posts: 3
    Hey Guys & Girls,
    Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I`m now going to have to sit down and have a look at where I think I can go and what I enjoy doing. I guess this is likely the most difficult part of the whole process...coming up with a GREAT idea
    CraigL -- I take your point regarding the technology business and you are correct its really getting tougher selling a service these days, especially in the web-design arena. Things are uber competitive and alot of business balk when you quote them on a full E-Commerce website - "What it`s going to cost me $2,000...I can get theat done in India for $300" Believe me I have had the response a few times. I guess that`s global trade for you...contractions in some industries and booms in others.
    I find it interesting regarding your point about physical products. Do you think that this belief of value in a physical product crosses over into the software realm? Where the product is actually delivered as a tangible, boxed item? It`s likely something that I could consider doing...creating a piece of software and then looking for marketing partners. I would be interested in hearing your opinions on that side of the tech business.
    Failing that, I`m looking at some other avenues at the moment and will jump back to the thread in a few days with some ideas for you guys (My business Board LOL) to shoot holes in.

Again, I really appreciate all the time that you members have freely given me. I know that message boards can take a bit of effort and I do appreciate the responses.
    Best Regards,
    Steve