WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Finding Programmers

kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
I`m looking for programmers who want to be a part of a startup and don`t mind working for equity for awhile.. where is a good resource for this?

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    What kind of programmers are you looking for?Give me details..
  • kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
    A web programmer with a few years of experience in PHP, MySQL, Javascript, the likes. Someone who`s web 2.0 savvy and keeps up to date with current tech advances. I`d be interested in someone who knows Ruby on Rails as well. 
  • TwilightPicsTwilightPics subscriber Posts: 2
    And what would you like to do with this said programmer?
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    I agree with NIKOLE,Especially because you are asking for a top notch programmer with web 2.0, javascripting, php, and MySQL... RUBY on Rails?hahahahahaha..... Now you gotta be kidding me right? I don`t want to sound rude, but for someone with no funding, the most you can get is a basic html programmer, with 3 months experience... No as for a php programmer they are out there "Dime a dozen" but.. I don`t think they would do it on Zero Income... Again.... Put some cash down $5,000,00 down, and I will give you RUBY on Rails, php, asp, coldfusion, AJAX, Javascripting, and WEB 2.0 (laszlo or Flex) your choice.. but put some cash down..
  • kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
    I hate to be the man that puts all your naysaying to rest, but I`ve found 2-3 interested programmers that are willing to join the team and work on terms. They have great resumes, have worked at good companies, and are really excited about the project. The reality is that I can`t get them totally full time yet, but as I`m looking for investors, they are willing to program as well as join the team as IT experts for the long haul.I`m not going to lie, I`m surprised to see such an attitude of "you can`t" here on SuN:). C`mon people, that`s why we`re entrepreneurs. We get it done. If i`m successful with this project, I hope it encourages people a bit more to go with that they know they can do, not what everyone else thinks they can`t do!Good luck everyone and enjoy doing what you do!
  • thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
    I actually started out doing that, and I really don`t recommend it to anyone. You never get the good quality people, and just get a bunch of slackers. I had about 15 people reply to my offer to work for equity. Out of those I went through 4 different people. And each time after a 3-4 weeks they would quit citing lack of personal time. My guess, they didn`t realize how involved it was, and thought it would be a quick reward scenario. The problem with equity is that you end up paying them their cut for life of your business. So in the long run, its worth it to pay that $70,000(3 programmers for about 6 months), and keep full ownership of your business. + you won`t get anyone serious because not many people are willing to survive on bread crumbs for 6 months while the project is being coded