WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Paypal

TeramenTeramen subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Business Planning
Should I use paypal in my website? I have heard some bad things about them

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    PayPal is a good alternative for payment processing, because you do not have a recurring monthly fee like you can have with other payment processors.
    Depending upon how you implement PayPal - if you are using PayPal`s "buy me" buttons or incorporating PayPal into an ecommerce programs like osCommerce or Zen Cart, it may not require the purchaser to have a PayPal account.... thus, avoiding some objections of having to open and account.
    I too use PayPal and all of my ecommerce clients do also.  PayPal problems usually occur because of misunderstandings between the buyer and seller, not because of PayPal itself.
    ~Roland
  • thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
    I`d use Google Checkout. Paypal seems a little bit amateurish to me, + they have a reputation for freezing payments for no reason, so you lose access to all money in that account indefinitely. 
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Teramen,It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Paypal is a good feature to have as an alternative solutions to those who have a paypal account. It shouldn`t be used as your primary payment processing solution. I started with paypal when I first opened the business. But in the long run couldn`t keep using it as my primary processing solution. I moved up to Linkpoint. With Linkpoint Im able to offer recurring payments, one time sales, take in fax, mail orders, and over the telephone orders. I also have a wire less POS incase I need it on the road. I have some specials on payment processing solutions. 0 set up fee`s and no credit checks. As long as you haven`t defaulted on a processing solution you should be OK if not then retriever will tell me so.
    Hope this helps you
    Yes.. I`ve been using Linkpoint for almost 3 years. I like the virtual terminal. just simply log on to your account online and make all your sales. You don`t need to call them... Satisfaction guaranteed. Want me to send you a link so you can sign up?
    Yes, you get three features with your subscription.
    1. You get the API -Which lets you integrate it to your web site, by entering your store number and username. (thats it!!)2. You get the Linkpoint Central - Which is your virtual Terminal and Manual POS incase you want to have FAX, EMAIL, or Catalog Orders. This is called the MOTO feature. MOTO = Mail Order Telephone Order. 3. If you need a POS processor they will supply you with one. But the only feature that you need is the Linkpoint Central that can be integrated into your Zen Cart. Zen Cart is a Downgrade to OS COMMERCE. Which both have the Linkpoint API ready for you to use. I can help you integrate it. If you wish!!! 
  • sparklespersonsparklesperson subscriber Posts: 0
    I`m currently using both Paypal and 2Checkout, as i`ve heard too many horror stories about having one account and having it frozen for "too much activity".  I`m currently looking into whether the Google checkout will integrate with my shopping cart as well, so i can have all three.
    It`s just a good idea to have backups in case something happens to one!
    Sparklesperson,I never heard of a processor freezing your account because of too much activity. Isn`t that why you are using them? Remember if you loose money so will they sales are a good thing. Paypal gets their whoping 2.9% +.30 cents per transaction and 2 checkout gets the same. The only way a company will freeze your account is for two reasons, too many fraudulent purchases and the credit cards are flagged as stolen, and fake credit card numbers.Or you have one to many charge backs. Then you can get in trouble. Other than that you are OK there are no Horrors, Why 2Checkout? You like waiting 15 days to get your money?
  • andrew2ecandrew2ec subscriber Posts: 3
    I`ve heard some bad things about paypal like freezing payments and it`s not that secure. I don`t use it on my site but I use it on ebay because it seems a majority of people prefer paypal on ebay.
  • sparklespersonsparklesperson subscriber Posts: 0
    I have heard horror stories from some of the bigger marketers, where they got a promotion that worked REALLY, REALLY well.  Paypal demanded that they deposit a bunch of money, when they couldn`t, they shut the account.
    In fact I know it wasn`t just a story - I participated in the promotion, and was a customer of this marketer.  I wondered why they were asking me to re-sign up for it, and later heard of the paypal issue.
    That`s why I use two different processors, and am always exploring others to have available to use in the event of a meltdown.