WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Starting a bar/nightclub

CellarDoorCellarDoor subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Selecting a Business
I am looking for as much advice as possible concerning starting,
owning, and maintaining a bar/nightclub. Although I am a business major
at Northern Illinois University and currently work in a bar, I
understand that I am extremely green in this area. So, with your help,
I am compiling as much information as I can so when the time does come
I will be ready. Feel free to post any information, no matter how
minute, you deem worthy of note. Thank you for your time and your
consideration.

Comments

• daschwandaschwan subscriber Posts: 0
    If you go to bplans.com there is a business plan for a
    nightclub. And try bar & nightclub magazine. Hope that will help.
  • ryanwithanrryanwithanr subscriber Posts: 1
    I would have to agree. Try to find as many worthy publications as you can. Such as magazines or associations. I have been very interested in the brewing industry. I joined the Brewers Association. It comes with numerous perks, such as industry publications, statistics, and a wealth of contacts and information regarding events. Plus they have a forum/newsletter that gets sent daily with information regarding the industry, and input from industry professionals.Business plan templates are good to review, however, try to do some research on your own. Like textbooks, they can`t teach you everything, or in this case, a generic business plan is just that. Each and every plan will be unique, just like every entrepreneurial adventure. The business plan is going to be an extension of you and your idea. Bankable Business Plans by Edward Rogoff is an excellent book on business plans. Had to read it for a startup class I took in college.Hopefully this helps. It will surely be a journey.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Cellar door,Bar/Night Clubs are very hard to own and manage. As a DJ for 18 years, I contemplated many times to open a Night Club / PUB... and the liability for them are very high, so lots of banks turn away from these types of businesses. Some of the problems why they are too risky are because of drunk people that don`t know how to act their age. When I was deep into the Night Club life, I had my share of DJing at Clubs such as Palladium, Limelight, Club USA, Twilo, Sound Factory, Shelter, NASA, and my favorite..Zanzibar... The are all clubs based in NYC/ NJ tri-state area.. Here is some scoop of how you can start your own club with little money down or how to fund it to on your own... What you need to do is:1. Find a place that already has all the equipment and is willing to rent it to you or lease it to you. 2. Find promoters and high profile DJ`s 3.Start throwing your own gigs always keeping the same name of the gig...4.  hire Security.. most clubs will have their own security..Need more advise or Djs.. Fly me out and I will turn tear the roof off for you.. I own 10 thousand records and 4 thousand Mp3`s. And DJ software to play MP3s... So keep in touch..
  • jenqjenq subscriber Posts: 2
    We own a bar on a lake that boasts the most beer sold within a 70 mile radius. It`s a tough business to be in. If you aren`t willing to be on premise during all the busy hours, don`t even think about starting one, you`ll be robbed blind. I highly recommend the shot counters that are hooked up to a computer. At the end of the night you can compare amount poured to the amount of cash in the register.
  • cugelertcugelert subscriber Posts: 7
    I`m in the business too, over 25 yrs now.  Years ago when I bartended at a club in Belltown in Seattle, the owner gave me some excellent advice thats still stuck with me all these years, that I feel you may want to consider...
    He said in order to have a successful club, you have to focus on making it very comfortable for the ladies.  Forget about the men...  If the ladies like your club, the guys will come anyway...  That worked like magic for him.
    Take it from me, back in those days, he had the BEST club in Belltown with lines down the block in the rain with tons of cute girls waiting to get in, and of course, the guys were there too.
    BTW, it was called Casa U Betcha, on 1st ave, back in the 80`s.  Its gone now.  He sold it and moved on.
    Something to think about...  Hope it helps. 
    jerik
  • cugelertcugelert subscriber Posts: 7
    One last thing I forgot to mention, I`m working on a business plan for the acquisition of 6 F&B businesses across 3 states.  Whats your major? 
    jerik
  • safeman4usafeman4u subscriber Posts: 0
  • saddleridgesaddleridge subscriber Posts: 0
    Fill 
    saddleridge2007-6-30 23:12:51
  • excellentbarsexcellentbars subscriber Posts: 0
    Cellar
       My Name is Chris and I have been opening, building and operating Bars and Nightclubs for over 10 years, I have a new Web-site that has lots of free info for you to help you start you bar, I also have a "New Location Rating System" to help you qualify your venue...
    Cheers Chris
    www.excellentbars.com</A>
  • micsimonianmicsimonian subscriber Posts: 1
    My self I love going to bars that are more modern, there is one local one I go to called  the CODA , wow the amount revenue its generating . Good news is that is only open Thursday to Sunday. From
  • excellentbarsexcellentbars subscriber Posts: 0
    Take a look at one of my Bar Business Plans
    ss_Plan
  • Jaun22Jaun22 subscriber Posts: 0
    That sounds like a great resource for people who are looking to get into that industry. I will have to check that out.
  • AutoxAutox subscriber Posts: 0

Chris,
     I just finished reading your forum posts on you site.
     www.excellentbars.com
     You have really written a lot of detailed information about your current project.
    Great resource,
    Thanks
    Rich
  • entreplanetentreplanet subscriber Posts: 3
    I am looking for as much advice as possible concerning starting,
    owning, and maintaining a bar/nightclub. Although I am a business major
    at Northern Illinois University and currently work in a bar, I
    understand that I am extremely green in this area. So, with your help,
    I am compiling as much information as I can so when the time does come
    I will be ready. Feel free to post any information, no matter how
    minute, you deem worthy of note. Thank you for your time and your
    consideration.
    Im in the restaurant biz, and I can tell you that you`ll need a lot of of cash to start with. Next, you`ll need to get a LOT of permits. Don`t forget, in Illinois starting Jan 1, indoor smoking is no longer allowed. I would think carefully before opening a bar at this point in time...
  • RobCasAZRobCasAZ subscriber Posts: 0
    TO ALL:
    Pandora`s Box!  My name is Robert Casillas and I am a contributing writer and Educator for Nightclub & Bar Magazine and many other nightlife related publications. I Have seminars at the National Hospitality Week in Las Vegas, where Nightclub & bar Host their annual convention and tradeshow expo.
       I teach every part of the business and have a book in the works. I am the founder and President of my company MONSOON GROUP LAS VEGAS. We consult clubs and bars all over the US and abroad. We will take any venue from concept to success. I am NOT soliciting you. I do have much FREE information and guides as I have presented this past week at the National conference. ANYONE in this business or interested in the business can contact me at my e-mail: robcasaz@hotmail.com

Thank you all
    and Cheers!

ROBERT CASILLAS

Contributing Writer/Educator

Nightclub & Bar Magazine

&

President

Monsoon Group Las Vegas