WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Flash website and what is considered reasonable pricing for one

ruthyelleruthyelle subscriber Posts: 2
Hi,
I am in the process of attempting to build or have built a website with flash animation.  Does anyone know what I should expect as reasonalble pricing?  Being that I`m just starting my company I don`t have a few grand to spend on this, I need to get a good look that I like and clients will like that I can upgrade later when I have more funds.  I have checked out the different template designs that are available, some are close but just not  right.  Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Ruth

Comments

• storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Good morning Ruth -
    An entire website built in Flash can end up being very pricey. Another option would be to add flash elements to the website. I am starting my own company, but I`m also finishing up a website for a client that wanted just a little animation:
    www.tintonfallsdental.com</A>
    I`ve also incorporated a bit of Flash on my own website:
    www.storybookstudio.net</A>
    I believe my rates are very reasonable, but there are different factors to take into account. Do you have your own logo? Are you incorporating a shopping cart?
    Just send me a private message if you are interested in this type of website.
    Thanks!

• ruthyelleruthyelle subscriber Posts: 2
    I apologize, I`m only wanting the opening page to be flash.
    Thank you for your great advice, and you are right.  I do not want the entire sight to be flash.  The Storybook website is great(not to mention I think I might have to buy some things for my girls from there:)  I have checked out template monster and they have a few things that are close and would work great with a little tweeking. 
    Thank you

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Brian, if I could rate you today I would. I did not see your reply as "harsh." I would have selected the word "truthful."
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
     Your response was not harsh  at all and not taken that way.  I was looking for honest real business answers and  If  I can`t handle an honest answer then I shouldn`t ask the question.  As for my website, What I really want is for my first page to be like opening an invitation... opening a very nice envelope, then the invitation folds open  and that is where you would find my logo with the buttons for the different pages. 
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Flash on a web site?? No, Don`t do it! its pricey and maintenance is costly. I would use an intro and the rest HTML... with some animated gif`s or flash elements.  As far as using a template... Don`t do it either... You don`t do it either... Your newly start business is going to look like 1500 other people.. You can get a descent flash intro and web site for around 1200 to 2000 if thats within your budget. Take a look at this page I just designed :http://www.terragroupinc.com</A>
    that was simple with flash intro..
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Ruth -Flash is to the web as Desktop Publishing was to homemade fliers when it first appeared!OK, so that may not be an exact comparison but hopefully it makes my point.  My point is that too often technology is used for technologies sake.Oh sure, it`s cool, but does it really offer value?  In some cases, yes.  In most, well not so much...Define your websites purpose.  What is the top-level reason for having a website?  To sell invitations and favors?  Or to look really, really cool?Once you have established your presence and are running well into the black, then go back and ask yourself, "Will adding flash to my site increase my credibility and solidify my position as "THE" site to go to for invitations and favors?"  If the answer is yes, and it might be, THEN explore how you can best use technology to serve you.  Don`t allow yourself to be used by technology.By the way, I am NOT opposed to Flash; on the contrary, I think it`s great, it just needs to be used appropriately.I agree 100% with Brian`s first post.I`m not a fan of templates, too impersonal and generic.  You don`t want to look like everyone else, there`s too much of that already!IF you use a flash intro, keep it short, and I mean short - 15 seconds MAX.  Offer a "skip intro" button AND make it possible to bookmark AFTER the intro so that returning customers aren`t forced to view it each time the visit.You should be able to get a 3 to 5 page custom website for between $2,500 and $4,000.  There`s obviously way too many variables to really offer an accurate estimate without sitting down and getting specific, but hey, there`s at least a ballpark for you.  Add Flash and you can really start to jack that price up.Well, I seem to be in a rambling mood today, sorry all.Ruth, I hope some of this helps.  Chew up the meat and spit out the bones as they say!R-
    Timothy,I took a look at your web site and yes... It is all flash.  What where you thinking? I like the fuctionality very smooth and not to mention it`s not a heavy web site. You definitely need to have an Html Version. Perhaps keep the Flash Version just add an additional html feature for the people that don`t like flash. So what you can do is create an intro and on the intro put two buttons that say Flash | HTML and let your customers decide which site they want to enter the html or the flash. That way, you can still be search-able and the crawlers can still find you. Or perhaps create a Hybrid web site. Part flash, part htmlKeep the Navigation bar in flash and your products and all the content can be in HTML.. That way you can still benefit from both worlds.. Flash and html
    No not my Newphew??? Timothy`s Newphew designed the page... I was just giving him input..