WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Any ideas on how to handle this?

MNMtgGuyMNMtgGuy subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2006 in Grab Bag
I was recently reading about one the fastest growing sites on the internet. The founders of this particular site have created a very, very large community. At this point though they have not determined how to create revenue...without offending site users.
I have several ideas how they may be able to "tweak" this site to create/develop a couple of different revenue streams. I have gone as far as registering several site names which incorporate my ideas with this HOT site.
My question/comment: How might I approach the founders of this site with my ideas?
What if they say "thanks for the idea" and just run with it themselves?
Am I in any legal "hot water" for registering these site names?
Would it be a good idea to do a "mock up" of the idea and offer to present it in person?
Thanks!

Comments

• tomasztomasz subscriber Posts: 14
    I know that for a fact that if the domain that you register is representing or is closely related to a company of a product that a certain company sells, you might be asked to turn over that domain. Sometimes they might offer you monetary compensation in return for the name in order to avoid litigation. In such case as yours, I would recommend that you maybe look into obtaining a patent or a trademark if you feel that there is a reason on your behalf to protect that idea.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Ok, here is the thing,As far as registering the domain names, there is no problem.. Domain names can be registered by anyone as long as they are available "and" they are not copyrighted. Remember just because a domain expired doesn`t mean it is not copyrighted. I had an incident about three months ago where one of my customers copyrighted their domain name, but the domain administrator hi-jacked the domain name and let it expire. It took the client 90 days to get it back and the "domainers[people who bid on expired domains] had to turn in the domain name. But if the domain name was never registered, it is yours and no-one can force you to sell or drop the domain name. As far as your idea; run to the bank with it, as long as you don`t tarnish, or infringe any content found on any of these company`s web sites you are Ok. Your best bet is to start your own company and offer better service, or products. If you run to any of the companies and tell them your idea, they will take it from you; run with it, and since you don`t work for them they don`t have to pay you a dime.
  • MNMtgGuyMNMtgGuy subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response...couple of problems...I don`t have the $$ or expertise to reinvent this particular wheel. The domains I`ve registered use (the un-named site) as part of the domain.
  • MNMtgGuyMNMtgGuy subscriber Posts: 3
    Any idea what cost of trademark might be? Thanks for the quick response.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    trade marking the domain name? go to this address 852
    This is the USPTO main web site. You can read all about domain names, as far as cost. I don`t know how much it would cost. as far as your $$ situation, well, what type of business is it? I`m always looking for secondary flows of income.. let me know