WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

DOING BUSINESS AS (DBA)

watergalwatergal subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
edited April 2006 in Business Planning
Would anyone know if there would be a conflict of interest in using a name
for your DBA if someother company also had the same name legally registered
to them?  When I was searching for my company name I had to make sure
that no one else had the same name, would that be what I would have to do
again for choosing my DBA name  - wondering thanks
jo

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    In Oregon a DBA is also registered with the state so you wouldn`t be able to register a DBA being used by someone else.  Is that different elsewhere?- J.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    WaterGal,Situations vary from state-to-state, Here in California, you can have a DBA as long as you are not in the same city as the other person with the DBA. A DBA is just "you" (which would be your TAX_ID number or social Security Number) So I don`t see where the conflict would be. The best thing to do is "Incorporate" don`t use your personal info for your business. Keep in mind, Tax Breaks, Lawsuits, Write Off`s and Other luxuries that having a corporation would bring. Of course then there is the yearly price of keeping your corporation and the tax filing, and the minutes and bylaws, you are going to head that way in the long run so do it now.
  • watergalwatergal subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Thanks everyone for the  help - I really appreciate your time and comments !!