WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Easability Review

cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in Website Critique
www.repairmyguitar.com 
Hey all,
I`m looking for 2 things on this review:
1. Does the site flow smoothly / easy to use?
2. Do you  understand quickly why you`re there and the benefit you will recieve.
Alot of time was spent on limiting user error, preventing spammers from submitting forms, catering to the "non java scripters". If you`d like to test the functionality you can use the State - "ztestonly" at the bottom. Otherwise please don`t spam the stores, thanks!
Functionally it works properly, I know its not w3c compliant, doesn`t like php much. Aside from that, let me know if you have any other issues/comments.
Thanks so much!cubemonkey1/28/2008 9:05 AM

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    In your contact form after selecting a city and state, the drop down menu is cutting off the end of the drop down option in Firefox.The guitar as a type of captcha is different, but if people have images turned off in their browser, is there another option?In your menu links, add title tags." alt="guitar header" " ..... change to include keywords, domain name, etcTry to add more textual content to the main page; although you get the point across quickly, more text will benefit you in terms of SEO.
  • cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
    Thanks Webline!
    I use Firefox 2.0 and haven`t had a problem with the menus, but i believe you can limit the number shown to 10 or so like IE does automatically, I`ll look it up.
    I haven`t thought of them having images turned off. Is that really common? It`s not like images are inserting malicious code like javascript. Just wondering I`ve never heard that mentioned before.
    Not sure what you mean by "title tags" in the links. If you mean the title attribute, I was under the assumption that it adds to the non-indexed text in the file, making bad SEO by reducing the keyword density of the page. Therefore not really doing anything useful, I think even most screen readers will skip that attribute.
    I will change the alt tags to include keywords, I hadn`t thought of that thanks!
    Thanks again for the great feedback.
    Seems real easy to me. I wish you had the same service for keyboard
    repairs! That seems to be getting harder to find these days. 

Ya, initially the goal was to start "smaller" even though it turned out not to be so small and just do guitars. I will be adding a means of searching for what other types of instruments stores can repair. 
    Cool concept! I`m a guitarist and I`ll use the site. How are you making money from this? Looks like you`re offering the directory free to both stores and users. What`s your business model?

The site has been up and running getting business and will continue to do so freely (except for my own money). Once I feel, and they feel it has demonstrated a value for their business, I will charge a small yearly fee to be listed on the largest guitar repair website.
    Stores that choose not to pay will be filtered out and only receive emails with the problem and no contact information. Hopefully they will see they are missing out on business their competitors are getting.
    Please do use it! So far I have received great feedback from both customers and stores!