WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Building your own website

Comments

• MaryMary subscriber Posts: 2
    I think if you have a background in Design it helps with the website design. I did our website in FrontPage and think it isn`t too bad. It is my first attempt at website design. It isn`t hard to do after you get the concept that it is just a lot of pages linked. I am going to add a shopping cart when we start our sublimation printing and that will be a challenge but I was able to design my own site. See what you think.
    www.alltechprinting.com</A>
    Mary
  • sagemediasagemedia subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Deb,Just like all the other designers / developers who have responded, of course my bias is firmly on the side of recognizing the value in hiring a professional to do a professional job.  Too many people confuse the artist with their tools... that is, they reckon if they buy a paintbrush (i.e. software), then they too can paint a masterpiece.As for publishing software, most professionals use Adobe InDesign.  It`s a trick to learn for beginners, but it is easy enough to find an instructional course at your local college.All the best,Chanie
  • RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    Everyone spouting about HTML seems to have forgotten that the original post included the question "If I did choose this method, how do I go about creating a shopping cart?"While HTML is used to create the interface you then need to know about SQL databases and at least one programming language (two if you want to JavaScript on the front end). So that would bring the list of things to know to:HTMLCSSServer Side Scripting (pick your favourite language)JavaScript (probably)SQL for you databaseThat`s before we get on to how to write a secure web applications, page design, navigation, making top notch graphics, etc.
  • RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    See what you think.
    www.alltechprinting.com
    Hmmm..... I`d start by getting your page to validate correctly.http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... .alltechprOnce it validates you should should probably work on removing all of the tags that are now depreciated. If you read the font section of the HTML specification you`ll notice that all the b and font tags are now depreciated and "their use is
    discouraged in favor of style sheets". You should also remove all of the align="..." attributes as they are depreciated too.
  • ElliElli subscriber Posts: 0
    Besides being in agreement with many people in that you should hire a professional, I do have two other alternatives to offer...
    1) The ProStores.com route.  For $30 / month, you can get an automated Shopping Cart with ProStores.com.   I found it to be very confusing at first.  But the major PLUS was that the ProStores technical support was always accessible and very helpful in guiding me with certain things. 
    ProStores also has package prices availabe to customize a website for you.  I think it runs around $400, but don`t quote me on this.
    2) DIY Route with Fantastico which is a suite of "open-source" tools available with most website hosting packages (ie: http://www.siteground.com/fantastico.htm</A>. 
    E-Commerce options include :
    CubeCart (3.0.10) OS Commerce (2.2 MS2 (051113))Zen Cart (1.3.0)
    GOOD LUCK!
  • LordEmsworthLordEmsworth subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi RVDEBBY
    I struggled with this problem several years ago.  Since I am computer literate (over the years I did lots of programming) I opted to build my own site using Bigstep.  You may want to look at my web site, www.NortonTownsley.com</A>.  Doesn`t look too bad, if I say so myself.
    Right now we are having a professional build our new Firm web site.  If you click on the link you will get our current web site, which was built by one of our partners using Frontpage, I beleive.  It`s not very elegant but does provide the information.  I have taken over the task of updating it.  You have to use FTP and upload files.  I mostly make small changes to the html code. 
    There are plenty of places where you can build a template driven web site.  I think they are very useable and not very expenisve. 
    BTW,  Microsoft Word also allows you to read and write html files.  You design what you want and just save it as Web Site.  This is html.  You can also see the html in a web site.  I forget how this is done but browse through help.  I`m sure it does not have all the capabilities of Frontpage but I`m sure it is very serviceable.
    Good luck.
  • thinkradicalthinkradical subscriber Posts: 0
    For beginning websites, the very best easy site creator I have seen is
    from google, they host domains and email (for free!!!!!!).  To sign up
    go to http://www.google.com/a/
    Here`s an example of a site I created with the google creator:
    http://www.riskinsider.com

If you need e-commerce, there are also cheap options.  I have a small
    store running on http://www.shoppingcartsplus.com - see
    http://www.thegreenharvestco.com.

If you want something more upscale, go with a professional but check
    their portfolio and make sure that you like their style.  For a
    "brochure" site you should probably pay around $500 (if you find an offshore company), or certainly shouldn`t pay over $1000 even
    domestically. 
  • rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    Deb,
    No doubt you now have lots to consider. Deb I would just like to mention this.
    Web pages must not remain stagnant and I am sure you will want to up date information on your pages often to keep them interesting. Regardless who creates your page tray and keep it basic so you can update information on your pages yourself. Make sure the page loads fast as people only give a page a few seconds to load. If the page stalls uploading people leave before it loads.
    It will cost you a lot of money if you are constantly paying your web developer to update it for you. Also if you know html you can create you own doorway pages to get more traffic.  Traffic to your web page is what makes you money, not your web page on its own..
     rexiedexie2006-11-9 19:11:54
  • WallaWallaWillyWallaWallaWilly subscriber Posts: 0
    RVDebby: You CAN produce a high-quality website that is distinctive,
    professional and manageable. I wouldn`t have said that two years ago, but
    today, I know it because I had to do it...several times.

During the past six months, I set aside coding HTML or paying for
    Content Management System hosting/design. Instead, I found the
    coolest, most fun software I`ve used in my 25 years of printing and
    publishing: It`s called RapidWeaver < http://www.realmacsoftware.com/
    rapidweaver >. Go to their gallery section to see what it can really do for
    average people like us.

What I love about this tool is that I can manage my site on my laptop and
    synch it up whenever I want to. And, the themes are among the most
    professional and graphically pleasing that I`ve seen for awhile.

Plus, the software easily allows you to integrate those hosted services
    such as a shopping cart. It really is the best of all worlds.

The only "drawback?" It`s a Mac-only application. However, during the
    past six months, I`ve had three clients actually purchase either a used Mac
    or a MacMini after seeing my use of this application. It`s that impressive.

During my career, I`ve helped organizations make their first endeavor
    onto the Internet and navigated the rapids of html and content
    management. I know the value of a good image and professional
    demeanor. And I value a good graphic designer.

Until you can afford the professionals, RapidWeaver fills the bill. You can
    do it. I did.
  • oldfrenchyoldfrenchy subscriber Posts: 0
    Just a quick thought:
    I certainly am far from a programmer, and dont have alot of time to learn it either.  And I am a small time marketer, so I dont have alot of money to pay a developer.  So I took the real easy way out - with SHOPIFY.  It`s a "WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET" answer to an online store.  It goes something like this:  Pick a design, now add a product description, now upload a picture, now put it in a category and price it!  And PRESTO you are done!  And it has a good enough shopping cart linked to PAYPAL.  I built a website with about 70 products in about 4 hours.
    I dont have to pay hosting fees, or software costs, or monthly shopping cart fees, or developers costs.  What I DO have to pay is 10% of every sale.  I was happy with this for starters.  I already had a domain so i just put a link on my domain www.shopify.com</A>. 
    It is by far not the greatest, and I will definitely go to something better in the future.  But for starters, its great for me.  And for my matching brochures, I just downloaded the design of the website into my WP software!
    Thanks for listening!
    Mark

from the desk of OLDFRENCHY (<!-- e -->mark@oldfrenchy.com<!-- e -->) :ugeek:
  • AllieAllie subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi!
    I`m in the same quandary as rvdebby -- need a website w/ shopping capabilities...I really want to do it myself, but I do not have any experience.  After reading all the responses, I think I can do some learning and then make my decision as to whether to hire a pro or do it myself.  Thanks for all the help.  However, how do I go about finding a good pro (someone who won`t rip you off)!  My small biz is still in start up mode (only been in business for a year) and funds are very scarce!
    Thanks
    allie
  • COWBOYCOWBOY subscriber Posts: 0
    HI RVDEBBY
    BULDING YOUR OWN WEBSITE IS FUN.THE FIRST THING YOU NEED IS A DOMAIN NAME. IF YOU DECIDE TO USE YAHOO.COM TO PUBLISH YOUR WEB SITE IN THE INDEX PAGE OF YOUR WEB SITE YOU MUST HAVE HOME.HTML.WHEN SOMEONE GOES TO YOUR WEB SITE IT WILL OPEN UP TO YOUR HOME PAGE.IN THE INDEX PAGE ALL PAGES MUST BE IN LOWER CASE,ALL PAGES MUST END IN .HTML.IF YOU ARE USEING A PUBLISHING ASSISTANT YOU WILL NEED TO INSERT HOST NAME OR ISP ADDRESS.YOU MAY OR MAY NOT NEED USER IDENTIFER.THEN YOU CAN TRANSFER YOUR WEB SITE TO THE REMOTE HOST.IF YOU USE PAY PAL BUTTONS SET UP AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM SO YOU CAN USE THE BUTTONS AS YOU BULD YOUR WEB SITE.MAKE A COPY OF YOUR WEB SITE,FOLDERS AND ANY OTHER ITEMS YOU LIKE ON A CD RE WRITEABLE.
    DAN BECKHAM
    COWBOYSCOINSCURRENCYLLC.COM
  • sanssans subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi all,
    Well, a very good alternative is use some class of portal technology, the best i know is DotNetNuke. With a portal solution, you can organize the content the way you want (flexibility depends on what portal you choose). It is very user friendly even to people without coding skills. If you want to know more, you can go to http://www.dotnetnuke.com/</A> to know more about the product (it is free).
    Im a software developer and find this a very good solution, you can decide to pay for hosting (there are many dotnetnuke hosting services) or you can host the portal in your server.
    It is designed to be flexible so you will notice you can customize your portal in many ways, and things like (user feedback, forums, etc etc, are included, there are also shopping cart modules), its very easy to use, and another plus is a great community supporting it.
    (there are another portals, like mambo, but DotNetNuke is my fav)
    Good luck
    Hugosans2006-11-10 14:42:33
  • DeafCeoDeafCeo subscriber Posts: 3
    check out my website - it was easy to do.
    I am not an WEBSITE Designer PROFESSIONAL.
    But I am going to be the first to admit I dont like my own website.
    Why because it was the result of a cookie cutter program that walk me through the step.
    Reading HTML/XHTML and CSS isnt hard.
    There is a good  author Elizabeth Castro and she is an expert on the matter.
    But the thing is - dont be intimidate by the thought of a website. Keep the concept of "KISS" but at the same time plan to involve in a state of the art website that would be on the level of amazon.com .. shoot i even remember when amazon.com first came out it was pretty much a simple website that blew up to a very state of art experience.
    If you can surf the net you can pretty much get an idea of what you want.
    Matter of fact - if you dont have a site yet - get the name register ASAP! I cant stress that enough!
    Plan your site - what is the purpose of the site?
    I have 6 websites and I just purchase 5 of them and they are current dormant but pretty soon will be active.
    Building a website is like building a new town in the wild wild west. Eventually it will grow into something big. Or it could go bust and turn into a ghost town and you will think tumbleweeds was running across your lawn.
    Whatever software website editing tool you are comfortable with you should use it based on your ease of use.

I personally use 1and1 as my register and hosting company and I may use godaddy but I just wish go daddy would bundle it package together and do a better job of pricing more better.
    Just make sure you have a SSL for your transaction or you wont look so hot.
    PayPal is ok but if you an ebay vet you would want to avoid them like the eloba plauge!

Let me hush cuz it is happy hour time for me lol and I am about to brainstorm over shot of patron with my entourage.
  • PaddyWags8335PaddyWags8335 subscriber Posts: 0
    OK, FINALLY something I know about.  For print media, I would suggest the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)  The suite is expensive, but if you are going to do a lot of print media like brochures and the like, you want to be compatible with the printers you will be working with.  As you probably already know, there is a lot that goes into print publications and you want to make sure you have the proper tools to create them and have them looking professional.  It can get really costly if after you have spent hours or even days working on a piece only to have a printer tell you he can`t work on it or it will cost you additional money to have him FIX it.  If you are familiar with PageMaker, you should be able to adapt to the other two programs pretty easy.  Good Luck