WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

help finding market size of luggage sales

ellenbellenb subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Selecting a Business
Trying to determine market size before diving in financially.  How can I get recent public data on the size of the luggage industry?  Specifically how much luggage is sold in a year.

Comments

• ellenbellenb subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Eric, 
    The problem is that Google search turns up info on reports that are thousands of dollars.  I am not able to find just this aggregate number without spending a lot of money up front.  Any other specific places for this market size data that are free?  (that`s what I meant when I said public). thanks, Ellen
  • Nancy11Nancy11 subscriber Posts: 0
    Ellen, Try the Travel Good Assn, at www.travel-goods.org.  On the home page they have a link to their (free) 2007 study of the size of the luggage/bag industry.  - Nancy
  • RowallanRowallan subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi,

The Travel Goods Association is a good source of info.   The sale of Travel Goods is about 22 billion a year...but that number includes a number of categories.
    What are you interested in doing.  I am in the same industry and would love to share info.
    Rowallan,
    Thanks for the exchange.  I did look at that Travel Goods Association report and was shocked to see it list that the average retail price for luggage (not backpacks or totes, etc.) was around $20.  It made me wonder if I am misinterpreting all the data in that report.I am evaluating a business idea which I believe would be a subset of the number of pieces of luggage sold in a year.  I am not yet at liberty to say what the product is.  If you have any other advice or understanding of why that retail luggage price seems so off I would love to hear. - Ellen
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You should use Adwords to find out the demand and the number of searches worldwide.