WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website SEO holes

davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
I received a report from a SEO professional who says
googlebot is having a problem with our Content Management Software. 

I would agree that for the amount of content we have and the amount of traffic
we receive we are not SEO.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some more details as to the problem
with our CMS.  I am more then happy to pay a SEO professional to fix the
site, it just the company I spoke with said they were going to get us to rank
number one on google by adding content.  (I held in my laughter when I was
on the phone with him)  Our website is www.usspin.com

Thanks.

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Two things I see from looking at the site for a total of two minutes:You have over 22,000 pages indexed in Google, but how long does it take me to get to the dreaded "we have omitted some entries" message - 44 results.  With 22,000 pages plus, you shouldn`t be hitting that mark that quickly.  Looks like primary reason is...Lack of distinct title tags.  Within the 44 results you have a total of 3 distinct titles, and one of those is a db error message.  Ouch.  Looks like you also have some duplicate content issues.I wouldn`t go with any SEO firm that ever said anything about guaranteeing a number one ranking in Google, but you might want to talk to some reputable providers, or at the very least talk with whoever installed/configured/manages your CMS and see what capabilities it has in generating distinct titles for those pages - and that would just be a first step of many.FYI, your signature has two links to the same location (those duplicate content issues really can be a pain!)
  • davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks Chuck,

This lack of distinct title tags sound about what the report said. 
    However, can you example exactly what the difference is.  I believe that
    is my personal problem is I do not understand the terms when it come to website
    lingo.  If you start talking about "saly" or IRR I`m gold but
    distinct title tags I draw a blank.

Every one of our articles has a title, so why is that not "distinct".

Thanks you very much for your previous posting.
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Every one of our articles has a title, so why is that not "distinct".Each page has a title, but the same title is carried over to every page.  Surely the same sentence doesn`t describe the tens of thousands of pages on your site.Go to google, and enter this as a search:  site:usspin.comLook at your first page of results - you`ll see 2 identical titles (your homepage and what looks like a blog page), that db error page with a distinct title, and then all of the rest of the results come up on google with the same title.That`s because google is reaching out and looking at those pages, and when it adds them to its index it looks at the code and pulls out the text that`s entered in the <title></title> tag on that page.If you want to see what`s entered there on your website, go to any page on your site, and use your menu`s browser to select View > Source or View > Page Source (depending on which browser you`re using).  That will bring up the code behind your site - I did so for your homepage, and if you look past the javascript you have a the beginning you should be able to see that <title> tag. Not surprisingly, google sees that as your choice for the most appropriate summary of your page, and enters that in its index as the title of your page.So when you have an immense number of pages with identical titles, google eventually decides that while it will quickly run a scan of your site, it`s not going to spend much processing time distinguishing between the pages - after all, they all have the same title, so chances are the content is quite similar.The only problem is that`s not the case with your site, so you`re leaving a huge opportunity on the table by not clearly defining what each page is about within that title tag.  SEO practitioners distinguish between onsite and offsite factors in your ranking within search engines, and when it comes to onsite factors, having a different title tag for each page that contains useful and highly trafficked keywords/phrases is the starting point.
  • davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
    Chuck,I see what you are saying.  Thanks for the great note.  I reviewed the source code and as I am sure you saw it give the <title> several times.  I am coming to copy the code below and then ask a question.<title>Super Powerful Networking, SPiN, Mastermind Business Networking</title>        <script type="text/javascript">        <!--            _editor_url = "http://www.usspin.com/mambots/editors/htmlarea3_xtd/";                        _editor_lang = "en";        //-->        </script>        <script type="text/javascript" src= "http://www.usspin.com/mambots/editors/htmlarea3_xtd/htmlare a_xtd.js"></script>        <script type="text/javascript" src= "http://www.usspin.com/mambots/editors/htmlarea3_xtd/dialog. js"></script>        <script type="text/javascript" src= "http://www.usspin.com/mambots/editors/htmlarea3_xtd/lang/en .js"></script>        <style type="text/css">@import url(http://www.usspin.com/mambots/editors/h ... 3_xtd/html area.css)</style>        <script type="text/javascript">        <!--            // load the plugin files                        var editor = null;        //-->        </script>        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><meta name="resource-type" content="document"><meta name="Generator" content="usspinco Tag Generator"><meta name="revisit-after" content="1"><meta name="classification" content="Business Networking and Marketing"><title>Super Powerful Networking, SPiN, Mastermind Business Networking - How to Create and Run a MasterMind Group</title><meta name="title" content="How to Create and Run a MasterMind Group" /><meta name="author" content="Erik Davenny" /><meta name="description" content="Business Networking, SPiN, Super Powerful Networking is a business and professional mastermind business networking organization; members have an opportunity to share ideas, resources and introductions" /><meta name="keywords" content="Business Network, Super Powerful Business Networking , network, networking, business networking, social capital, social networking, marketing, business mastermind, mastermind, masterminding, mastermind groups, super powerful networking, spin, profit, business growth, better business, business partners, mastermind organizations, professional networking, buzz marketing, Business Networking, Mastermind, Mastermind Groups, small business, success," /><meta name="Generator" content="Mambo - Copyright 2000 - 2005 Miro International Pty Ltd.  All rights reserved." /><meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />As you see<base href="http://www.usspin.com/&quot; />As you can see from the bold section.  I believe that google is picking up the first title (which I believe the mambo CMS is generating).  What I want it to pick up is the third bold section and only that section.  However I can not just start deleting this code.  So... What should I do?
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    A standout amongst the best SEO systems utilized by website admins and online webpage proprietors two or three years back was official statements. Fundamentally, a public statement is an announcement about an item, administration, or development that is discharged for the data of the particularly focused on gathering of group of onlookers. Official statements are known to be extremely compelling as far as expanding movement to a site. Individuals these days depend much on the Internet with regards to data and this is the reason the utilization of public statements have profited much the individuals who have utilized it as a website improvement technique. Organizations offering SEO administrations have benefitted much from the interest for successful public statements.

1) Conduct A Search Engine Optimization Assessment Before You Start

2) Your Prospects Have To Click And Convert

3) Use Keywords, Keyword Phrases And Contextual Questions Strategically

4) Keep A Focus On Social Media
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Black holes are at the center of every known galaxy and are like the eye of a storm. Their center seems calm and undisturbed, but at the edges of the eye, huge forces of nature are being exerted, ripping everything it contacts to shreds. Black holes are immense gravitational wells from which nothing can escape, or at least that’s the theory, amended in part by Dr. Hawking a few weeks ago.

Google might like to be thought of as a ‘black hole of Internet search engines,’ consuming all the information that falls within their gravitational reach. The difference being, the information does escape and the web is not really ripped apart at the seams. Oh well, so much for that analogy.