WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Network Solutions or GoDaddy?

Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
Hi People,

I am looking at registering my domain and getting my eCommerce site started.  I just waned to know what your comments were on these two sites and if there were any negatives that I might need to be aware of. 

If you know of a better place to build and host my site please share.

thank you,
Jeff

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    GoDaddy or my site for domain names.

For hosting ecommerce - it depends if you are using the host`s all-in-one solution or using a third party ecommerce program (like ZenCart).  If you want to use an all-in-one solution, there are a lot of different ones available... godaddy, yahoo, etc.

If you use a third-party ecommerce program (I`d recommend this), the find a host that supports the program you`ll be using.

My hosting provides ZenCart and osCommerce free.

~Roland
  • infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    GoDaddy for sure for domain names. Hosting - neither one!
  • SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    I use GoDaddy for the name registration but my web designer suggested LunarPages.com.  She really likes them.  I haven`t launched the site so I cannot give an opinion on the host.
  • Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thank you for the responses.  I registered the domain name.  I think that was probably the easiest thing on my list.  On to the rest the tasks, deciding on Sole-P, LLC, Trademark Registration, Business Plan Completion, Manufacturing ...  It  all starts somewhere.

So, how important is it to register your business name as a Trademark?  If it is not registered at this time and I am using it, the name is somewhat protected, right? or should I just spend the $70 and register it in the state of CA and forget about it?

Thank you again.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    On the first question..  I use GoDaddy for all of my registrations (over 100) and hosting accounts (three).  I`ve never had a problem and I am quite pleased with the quality of their tech support.  You just have to learn to find the "no thanks" buttons on their follow-up additional options.  Using one registrar for all your registrations makes managing renewals a lot easier.
    All the registrars use the same database of domain names and after registration, you never need to communicate about the domain registration except to update your contact information or pay for a few more years.
    You can establish trademark simply by use and put (TM) next to it.  You can`t use the (R) registration mark until the trademark is registered by the USPTO.
    For more information: http://www.uspto.gov/smallbusiness/trademarks/faq.htmlVideography11/3/2008 11:24 AM