WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need to help my cousin on his business problems!

brainkingkingbrainkingking subscriber Posts: 2
edited November 2008 in Business Planning

Hi everybody, I am here to have
some help from you people. I have a cousin who is one of the key persons in his
company and there are certain issues that keep him occupied. He is more on the spiritual
side and he expects his work force to be on the same level, he has a good team
but they are not comfortable with each other and this creates problems. I don’t
know how I can help him, as he is tensed on this which makes me depressed. I
really hope that I get some useful suggestions from you people so that I can
make my cousin feel better.

Comments

• Options
    AllenWilsonAllenWilson subscriber Posts: 0
    Real simple have 10 minutes in the morning and those who want to participate join in. Others can opt out or he can be sued for discrimination
  • Options
    smith8smith8 subscriber Posts: 5

Well,
    there seems to be a problem of proper guidance I suppose. I don’t know whether
    your cousin is appropriate in management skills and business knacks. I wouldn’t
    say that he can make things normal very quickly but he needs some guidance on
    how to handle his employees and lead a successful team. I would recommend that
    you or may be if your cousin can, (which will be much better) have a visit to http://www.bblforum.com/bbl/ ,which has people from the professional field to
    enlighten you on the solutions to your business problems. It is an organization
    to help people get their business problems solved from the experienced ones.

smith811/1/2008 3:52 PM
  • Options
    SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    I agree with Craig.  You cannot be friends with people you manage.  As a CPA, I have seen it too many times where managers become friends with who they manage and then the friendship gets in the way of business decisions.

• Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    you have not said why "they are uncomfortable with each other". why is that? is it because of the spirituality factor?

the fix to any problem is to first identify the cause, then brainstorm solutions and potential outcomes, then implement your solution, monitor it and tweak it until you are satisfied.

that said, in business you need to maintain the independence (forunately or unfortunately) and like others have said manage your employees.  if you involve emotional attachment, it will definitely come in the way (if not now then later). that said, everyone needs be respected and treated with fairness. however at the end of the day you are the boss and everyone else works for you.