WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best areas for Boomer startups?

MJM54MJM54 subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2017 in Boomers Back in Business
Jeff, I`d like to hear your thoughts on the most promising types of startups Boomers should consider as they embark on the entrepreneurial path.

Comments

• sweetebeesweetebee subscriber Posts: 1

Well, here I am - a 60 year "young" single boomer granny.  I work part time (and totally dislike the Micro-Management" I`m getting.  Also, receive Disability due to 2 auto accidents.

I`m a go-getter, love people, no formal education but with lots of great life experiences.

Now, I have been told I have the most honest, down-to-earth, customer service with all levels of professionals.  I could write a book on my job experiences.  hehe

I want to start a home-based business without start up funds, and/or possibly a small cafe  not sure yet.  I  have a few ideas - I love to talk and write -

Forgot to mention, I have had in the past 2 small at home businesses and was reasonably successful, while helping other folks at the same time in their businesses.  I have also gone thru the SBA process. 

I want to apply for a small business grant and need direction for this process as I have never done this before and really have no knowledge of how to secure a grant.

Thank you in advance.

Sweetebee/Dallas, Texas

sweetebee11/11/2007 3:10 PM
  • LifeStoryBobLifeStoryBob subscriber Posts: 0
    I think it is wonderful that someone should ask what type of business or venture one should go into as a boomer!  Attention All Boomers - You Are Not Dead Yet! - the available enterprises and undertakings that a Boomer can start with is as broad a subject as your mind will carry you! Do something that you love to do - If you love to do or create something - there is no doubt that there will be plenty of boomers or others out  that would love to have your product or service.
    I have a friend that loves to make pillows - she sells hundreds of them on line - she has turned that into a Veterans Support Program - because she wanted a way to help Vets make additional money - she started a Co-Op that allows the Vets on disability to work and to participate in the profits from making her pillows and other items.  She is now a very successful and fulfilled person - because she knew how to make a pillow, loved what she was doing and wanted to help Vietnam Era Vets that she had volunteered to assist.
    The pillows are not solar powered, so I do not know if they would meet Solarboy`s criteria, but then how many of us have a solar powered life style.
    I love to talk to people about their lives - I started documenting them and now produce others life stories and legacies that they can share with their loved one`s or the world if they so desire. So go out there and do something that you have a passion for, a love for and something that you want to share with the world.
    LifeStoryBob11/29/2007 2:29 PM
  • DBeaversDBeavers subscriber Posts: 0
    If I read the original post correctly, it didn`t mention anything about retirees specifically.  Why limit the response to only those who have retired.
    Some boomers may have never been a long-term employee, because they chose to be a full-time parent - A very important job, but not one that earns a retirment.
    Other boomers may have been laid-off, and are finding it difficult to find a worthwhile job if any at all.  I`m a member of the Eons.com forum (As seen on TV) restricted to those 49 years of age and better.  I qualified with a few years to spare.
    Some boomers may have just started receiving Social Security, and with no other pension, may need additional income to avoid wiping out their next egg.
    And some boomers may not need the income, but must remain productive for their physical and mental well being.
    Lastly, some boomers may be employees who have suffered the corporate world long enough and their spirit cries out for the freedom of the self-employed entrepreneur.
    I feel certain that I haven`t covered every possiblity, as I myself am a boomer, who made the transition to self-employment over 20 years ago.  I know I would never have achieved the success I have found as an entrepreneur, if I had remained as an employee.  And now, I`m probably unfit for almost any type of long-term employment.  The freedom of being your own boss can be very addictive.
    Our needs may vary, as well as our motivations.  Those who have a "green" leaning, should look in the direction of solar power or other renewable energy sources.  Solar isn`t the last word in green living.
    I`ll stop now before this becomes an eBook.
    Dennis
    Hello Marcia,
    I would love for my home-based business to be featured as part of your savvymarketingsecrets.com web site.  I have invested many days and hours in helping others start their own dealership in the $18 Billion market of promotional advertising.  While some are boomers looking for a second career after retiring, or for supplementing their present paycheck, many others are Generation X to Generation Millennium.
    I started my promotional advertising business 23 years ago, strictly on a part-time basis for supplemental income.  Three years later, I took the plunge to full-time entrepreneur, and haven`t looked back.  It wasn`t always easy, but it was definitely worth the sacrifice over the long haul.
    Dennis
  • nolimits2wealthnolimits2wealth subscriber Posts: 1
    My business is so simple, yet very lucrative.And it has become a big hit with the baby boomers because you can spend as little or as much time as you like on the business, you qualify for a lifetime of discounted accomodation at 4 star resorts across the globe,and the business is 100% mobile which means you can take your lap top with you while your on vacation and still work on your business.It is definately worth looking at if you want a residual income for the rest of your days.
  • CarrieS1217CarrieS1217 subscriber Posts: 0

I work with many successful six figure income earners daily in this business I have a very large team and am teaching them on a daily basis how to create 6-figures from home, travel for wholesale prices, and spend more time with friends and family. Together we are extremely busy looking for, and assisting motivated people to set up their own profitable home based travel business. Everyday I receive calls and emails from individuals who claim they are frustrated and disgruntled with the quality of their lives and are looking to make changes. I mean everyone is interested in being their own boss, building wealth and financial independence from home, living a stress free lifestyle. Ask yourself --If there was a single travel solution with the 24/7 convenience of the internet, TRUE WHOLESALE pricing unavailable to the general public, access to virtually anywhere in the world and the 5-star service that you desire and expect, would that be exciting to you? If so, please visit my website, or email me or call me: Carrie Scholzenhttp://havingfunwith.P1DRevolution.comCarrieS@GOP1D.com888-780-4578
  • chezbellachezbella subscriber Posts: 0
    I really like your site.I am working on putting together a business with affiliate programs.
    Not sure if I am working in the right direction.  Any ideas on where to begin would be helpful.
    Your site is great.
    Donna
  • presto54presto54 subscriber Posts: 0
    I am a post boomer and I too have been thinking how to make an online business in affiliate marketing. There is a lot of good programs out there, that will teach you the basics of affiliate marketing. The one I subscribed to at $29.95 a month was the www.affiliateclassroom.com
    The classroom has everything you`ll need to put together your business.
  • startuphelperstartuphelper subscriber Posts: 2

I really like your site.I am working on putting together a business with affiliate programs.Not sure if I am working in the right direction.  Any ideas on where to begin would be helpful.Your site is great.Donna
     Donna, please check out my latest post in my blog (below) where I discuss affiliate programs. I go into detail about my favorite affiliate that offers the best commissions out there. It was my first big affiliate commission and continues to be my best. One of the strategies to keep in mind when choosing affiliates to promote, is to make sure they fit well with your overall content. Also, you want to choose affiliates that offer the highest commissions. Check out the blog for more info.
  • chezbellachezbella subscriber Posts: 0
    Thank you.Your information is helpful.
    Donna

• buswriterbuswriter subscriber Posts: 1
    WOW! I have enjoyed reading all these posts regarding the Best Businesses for Baby Boomers to Start. I have a book coming out in March 2009 called the "Baby Boomers Guide To Small Business Success". My podcast is listed on the front page on Startup Nation and it lists several ideas listed in my book, plus a lot more. I would love to hear your feedback on publishing such a book and its relevancy in today`s brutal job market.
  • unlimited22unlimited22 subscriber Posts: 1
    I suggest Longevity Programs. 
    Baby boomers health needs become very more important at this stage.

Baby boomers are the first generation (I know) to be obsessed with staying young as a whole.

Longevity Programs
     are also considered the next trillion dollar industry.

I`d offset the pharmeceuticals and put my money on preventive causes any day.
    unlimited227/8/2009 8:53 AM
    Is there a Moderator in the house to clean up these Off-topic ads?

• ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    The buzz from startup executives, especially high-tech ones, has long been that ... together the best of Boomers with the high energy and crazy determination