WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to do B2B marketing?

ivanpwivanpw subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Marketing
Hi all,
I own one-stop business services.  I fairly don`t have problems in marketing one-to-one, but I have huge problems in B2B marketing, which is essential in growing my business.
Firstly, the condition.  We offer mainly services to customers - internet access, pay phone, photocopying & printing svcs, packages delivery & postal svcs, & airline ticketing.  Our products are not as vast as our services - calling cards, stationeries, & cell phone top up vouchers.
The question - how to offer other businesses our services, as they are no physical form to offer (i.e. if you market cakes B2B, you can promote: "buy 10 boxes, we could agree on a lower price tag/box, if you repeat order monthly on a 2-year contract, and, oh, you can also have 45-days grace period for payment"). We practice discounts for volume & repeat order, but it`s not very appealing for them.  They don`t want to sign any commitment contract, usually saying: "I know your stores.  I go there regularly anyway.  Why bother signing contract as if its a import-export agreement? Just give me a good price tag and my courier will pick up the copied papers."
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DeafCeoDeafCeo subscriber Posts: 3
    You stated there isn`t no physical form to offer. I am assuming an physical unit of a tradeable good?
    Well the phone companies doesn`t have an physical form but they do offer a service. It appears you are offering a service and that shouldn`t stop you getting the $$$ for what you are offering.
    What I would do is:
    1) You would need to find out why they are saying NO to a contract. Are they the FINAL DECISION MAKER or are they middle management?
    2) Also you need to find out what IS Not appealing to them - is it primary because of the fact they would have to buy in volume or the repeat order requirement? Bulk orders vs an option to restock?
    3) Are you a telecommuication provider (cell phone shop?) Or how would caterogize your business? Do you have a website?
    4) Put yourself in their shoes - what would make you say yes to a deal?
    5) If you are selling a product or service that is in demand but need to be refill on a monthly basis. I wouldnt worry about a long term contract I would focus on a short term contract. Because it is a hot commodity you would have the right to raise the price simply because they didn`t sign a contract.
     They want to make money with their markup as well but I am guessing at the same time they dont want to be stuck with excessive non moving inventory. It got to have a great turn (industry speak for how quickly an item is move from POINT A to POINT B to the POINT C) Think of you as the POINT A and then it goes to Wally`s World and the customer is Point C.
  • ivanpwivanpw subscriber Posts: 2
    DeafCeo,
    Thank you for your valuable insight.
    I`d agree that probably they wouldn`t be very interested to have a deal with me due to the volume requirement, and also the term of payment.  My business is a franchise unit of one of the leading franchises in my country -  which concepts similar to PostNet (one-stop business services provider) - not really plenty of tradable goods to offer.  Please visit www.multipluskarawaci.com</A> for more details. 
    My main income stream are internet access, photocopying services & package delivery.  Following the 80-20 rule, I tried to market those three services to businesses.
    My typical problem in B2B is: we offer a company to use one of our package delivery service, say, FedEx.  We require a minimum of, say, $2000/mo business transaction to get a 20% discount, on a 15-days payment grace period.  The company not only request more discount, they also request for a 30-days term of payment.  Our services & products are fast-moving, so a 30-days term (+ tight cash flow of my business) would suffer us a lot on the cash flow.  Plus, they won`t sign any agreement.  With no agreement & the term required, we can`t agree on a common ground & I regretably drop the offer, since it involves too much risk...  Not mentioning the difficulty in offering internet access services to businesses .
    Anyway, I truly agree that I should seek ways to contact the decision maker of the company for all our deals.
    Thanks in advance!ivanpw2006-10-27 15:42:36