WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website idea

thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
.thomor2007-1-18 1:14:37

Comments

• PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    Is that 60% for the programmer and 40% for the idea?
  • thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
    no 60% to the idea(me), and 40% to the programmer. I want to have the controlling interest, because after all its my idea heh.

I don`t have any problems sharing profit..And I`d rather have 2 people
    on the team, becasue 2 heads are better than one, and this being my
    first venture(of many), I don`t want to learn everything right away by
    myself.

...and yes hiring would be the optimal thing, but it would require a
    bigger investment...and I want to keep the fixed costs low. Because that way  I can wait for the site to be profitable.

thomor2007-1-17 12:57:33
  • JessicaJessica subscriber Posts: 1
    You might want to post the position/opportunity in our new Marketplace, under "Available Projects," if you haven`t already (you can see what I mean here http://www.startupnation.com/marketplace/need-help/</A>).  You could also do a search of the "Products and Services" listings to see who is a part of our Community already who provides website services.  Good luck!
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I wish I was a developer... I would be interested in listening.But... I am not.  Thanks for posting though... I am confident you will find someone if your idea and planning is sound.
  • thomorthomor subscriber Posts: 6
    well to tell the truth this was going to be my 2nd project, I already
    have a project in process thats somewhat similiar, but on a grander
    scale. So I think I`ll run this by my current guy, see if he wants
    first dibs

• roman1roman1 subscriber Posts: 0
    What is it?
    roman12007-1-18 11:32:36
  • PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    I wouldn`t mind knowing more.... but i`m just guessing that there are about 20 million people out there with great ideas for websites but no technical talent.
    A requirements document of some sort would be beneficial so a prospective programmer might get an idea of how much time they`d have to invest.  You don`t have to be specific about the idea just the architecture that the idea would require... and what`s the potential rate of return.  How are you going to market said idea? How is the site monetized? Will this be an LLC?
    You have stated:

"I want to keep the fixed costs low. Because that way  I can wait for the site to be profitable."
    Programmers need to eat too you know.... it`s easy for the guy that invests nothing more than an "idea" to wait.... he`s invested only a little inspiration.  The programmer on the other hand has some real opportunity costs to deal with.  (S)He can actually be earning a profit off of their labor working with someone that has enough faith in their "idea" to invest a little cash up front.
    80% of all new businesses fail... so who`d be taking the biggest risk pursuing YOUR idea.... you or the programmer.  And if you really think that the only thing neccessary for a successful website is the idea (I wouldn`t let the programmers know this is how you feel)... I doubt you find many willing to help unless there`s cash up front.
    Just my opinion mind you.  Worth about 2 cents on the open market.Pokerman2007-1-18 12:18:24