WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What to do after a layoff...

jdossjdoss subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2009 in Home-Based Businesses
Hi, my name is J.  I`m pretty new around here.  When I registered I had a great idea for a Laser tag business.  That fell through and the economy went crazy.  Now I find myself posting for a different reason all together.
I have been working for a Horse Trailer sales company for 5 years.  they have been around for 23 years.  It is a small family owned business, even though they are one of the biggest on the west coast.  Over the past year the economy went down the hole. I say this because some of you may not be aware of this (that was an attempt at humor ) I am one of one salespeople in the office, not including the owners.  As of tomorrow I am officially laid off.
Job hunting is already looking scary.  I would like to see if there is a home based business/job that anyone would recommend for a married man of 34 with two kids 1 Asian leopard and a chiuaua. Is there a realistic option for working from home that will allow me to take my kids out of daycare and co-ordinate with my wife`s schedule to spend more time together?
I made about $2500 a month , If I work from home I will save about $450 in childcare and $240 in gas, but utilities will go up and health care would be needed, so it is a wash.  Are there any home based businesses or job from home that could fill this void.  TIA
J Dossjdoss10/30/2008 4:20 PM

Comments

• VirtecomVirtecom subscriber Posts: 1

Here is something that will change your life and the lives of everyone around you and it’s FREE!!! To enjoy several FREE life-changing phenomenal videos by world-renowned experts Bob Proctor, Brian Tracy, and others go to

www.iLearningGlobal.tv

, watch the 2 minute intro video by Dolf de Roos, and install the video player. YOU WILL LOVE THIS!!!
    Our world is LARGELY shaped by our thoughts and the knowledge and skills we gain.

iLearningGlobal (ILG) is the #1 online Learning Center in the world for Personal Development and Business Success.

As a very brief overview, iLearningGlobal has recently brought together 3 main things:

Ongoing education by the TOP speakers, coaches, and authors in the world in Personal Development, Motivation, Business Success, and Money Management

– they’ve known for some time that their future is videos on the Internet. But the quality of videos on the Internet has not been good enough to convey their wonderful messages properly, and there’s been no way to protect their proprietary content from piracy, or “theft,” on the Internet.

An AMAZING brand NEW High-Definition, Full-Screen, No-Buffering video technology

that only ILG and a few billion-dollar TV networks have. You just have to see it to understand. It brings the speakers to LIFE on your computer screen so their message is received in an incredibly personal and effective way; and it allows protection of their content from piracy on the Internet. The speakers LOVE it so much they’re joining ILG faster than we can film them. We already have over 50 faculty members, and more of the best in the world are applying every week. The speakers take their hour-long talks, and crunch down their best core message into newly created, very high-tech 5-12 minute videos that we call our “Signature” videos. We also have great classic videos, audios, e-books, and we’ll soon have speaker blogs, mobile applications, and online “Guided Education” programs with certification upon completion.

A LARGE residual income opportunity

– iLearningGlobal is a Membership community, and we grow by personal referral of our Members inviting others to become Members. We pay you for people you refer who join, and for people they refer who join, and on and on.

So this creates 3 levels of participation in iLearningGlobal:

Faculty

– the top speakers, coaches, sales trainers, and authors in the world

Customer

s – our Members who love to learn from the best experts in the world how to be happier, earn more money, and be much more successful in life and in business

Marketers

– our Members who actively refer others. We help them 1) earn more money and become much more successful in their current life and business; 2) earn additional residual streams of income by helping other people help themselves; and 3) our top trainer of IRS tax attorneys, Sandy Botkin, shows our Marketers how to save thousands of dollars each year on taxes.

Our primary market is people who are responsible for their own income – in 3 main groups:

Business owners and entrepreneurs

Professionals of all types

– consultants, speakers, dentists, physicians, chiropractors, architects, engineers, attorneys, optometrists, and the like

Sales people of all types

– real estate, insurance, etc

The iLearningGlobal “purpose” is “to empower anyone, by incorporating our help, to achieve their goals much faster, more effectively, and for less cost than they ever could without our resources.”

As Brian Tracy says, “Learn from the experts, you’ll never live long enough to learn it all by yourself.”

• kimklinekimkline subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Jdoss,
    I am truly sorry to hear about your struggles.  I too was layed off in February of this year.  I have 2 boys to support as well as myself.  I have found a way to do that with United First Financial.
    We have a product that is changing lives.  We give our clients back hope and possibility.  We show them the way to Financial Freedom and how to build wealth. 
    Please take a look and let me know what you think.
  • dsprindledsprindle subscriber Posts: 2
    JDoss,
    We feel your pain. We lost a business after eight years. But that led us to our new business that is more than we could have hoped for. It seems adversity is a way for us to grow and discover things far better than our past opportunities.
    Our advice is to be diligent in your search with an attitude that these circumstances will be the springboard for you to move towards fulfilling the desires in your heart.
    You will certainly be exposed to many ideas and offers here at StartupNation. Begin to think like an entrepreneur instead of an employee. We wrote an article about this here.
    All our best,
    Scott & Lauriedsprindle11/6/2008 6:50 PM
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    i cannot agree more with scott and laurie.  i know it is easier said than done but try to see the positive in this situation.  maybe it is a blessing in disguise?  maybe it will give you a chance to reflect back and assess what you really want to do and where you want to be?

having said that, in the interim i would personally cut back on expenses that are not needed (want based rather than need based).  if you can afford to stay w/o a job and do some research on what you want to do, then do it.  if you need a job i would get something to pay the bills and research in your spare time. make night and day one if you need to - you will only have to do it until you figure out what you want to do.

i know some folks who have started businesses addressing needs of people who just got laid off.  they built the business around what their needs were when they were laid off.  there are opportunities in these troubling times. educate yourself as much as you can - SUN definitely provides the platform needed to educate you and then to take your idea into fruition.

good luck to you and please keep us all posted...
  • john77jrjohn77jr subscriber Posts: 0
    I have been hearing this story all over the US.  I work with clients in every state that are saying the same thing.  What we do is provide a free consultation service.  Shoot me an email or reply here and I will email you.  I can help you find a business to work from home.
  • passion09passion09 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi J,

Who Says Layoffs are bad? Layoffs are bad if one doesnt know what to do.
    Stay strong J. You can earn from home all by yourself and get paid hourly, without having to attend any work place. I have been doing it for the past 3 years now and i make nothing less than 3000$ a month and that too in my free time. check out these sites and start working for what you are really good at.
    1) www.odesk.com
    2) www.elance.com

It is safe J. Dont worry, get registered for free, apply, and get started. Since you are lucky to have a beautiful family, right now have a good time with them, they`re precious.

Good Luck J and happy working in ur FREE TIME.
  • alfonsalfons subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi, One of the most common sense thing you can do is evaluate what you are a good at. Then, look at how you can monetize that. Is there a hobby you have? Maybe you can monetize it. Do you have a passion? In my case, I also got laid off, so I wrote a book about something I cared about, which I am promoting now. That is giving me the experience to branch off into related niches.
    This is the web Site www.ifgodistruth.com
    I wish you luck.