WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How Legitimate is a Web Company?

STBeEntrepreneurSTBeEntrepreneur subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Thought Leadership
Hello everyone! Hello Craig-thanks for the advice! I`m new to StartupNation so please bear with me. I`m very impressed with all the info. & kindness this site & people have to offer, so it may be of no surprise that I will be asking alot of stupid questions here, but I have to start somewhere you know. A big part of starting a business or finding a business to start is doing research. When you don`t know what you don`t know, it can make the research process very difficult & time consuming, which brings me to StartupNation! Seems I`ve been finding no trustworthy review sites or businesses on the net. Every review sites top 2 or 3 is a scam on other review sites & it seems with all the links on these sites that their only purpose is for PPC(pay per click). There are people even saying the BBB is a scam. To make matters worse, Gov. sites don`t seem to have any listings of legitimate businesses. Whats a guy to do? I`ve heard that a person can research a business on Google but how does one go about doing that? Is there a link or do you have to type in a certain phrase to find out if a business is legit? I`ve tried the Online Business Bureau & the BBB, but am not having any luck. Is there any trustworthy sites that to go  find this information from or is this whole internet business thing a big scam. I know there are people out there running Home Based Businesses but how do I go about finding a legitimate/honest HBB? Any help would be appreciated as I know there are alot of people out there wondering the same! Thankyou for your time & consideration!
Darrin

Comments

• derekmderekm subscriber Posts: 0
    What I do when I go to do business with a company on the Internet is I look for a phone number, an address and contact information.  If I can`t call the business up and talk to them or if they are local to me even visit them, I likely won`t do business with them.
    The trick is to find a business that gives you as much contact information as possible.  If it`s a larger purchase see if you can hunt down previous customers either directly through the vendor OR even better use google to see if you can dig up information.
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Darrin:
    Most Home Based Business websites I`ve seen are scams, pure and simple.
    If you want to work from home, your best bet is identify a skill or craft that is in demand AND you can do from home. A great way to get ideas scam-free would be to go to the library and look for books on the topic (or a book store, of course).
    If someone asks you for money in order to help you start a home based business, I can`t imagine that it is legit.
    Let`s be careful out there! Good luck!
  • nolimits2wealthnolimits2wealth subscriber Posts: 1
    Darrin,
    Depending on what type of hbb you are looking at and yes there are hundreds if not thousands, and yes there are plenty of scams out there,although yet there are plenty of legit ones too.
    One option you can ty is www.whois.sc</A> here you will find the details of the registered site, a physical address and possibly a phone number.
    Try searching youtube also for a particular business, as everyone seems to be getting on the free youtube advertising bandwagon nowadays.
    I am a firm believer in you get what you need too, not what you want...one day when you least expect it a business mite find you as opposed to you finding a business.
    Good luck hunting.
  • STBeEntrepreneurSTBeEntrepreneur subscriber Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone! I just wanted to say THANKYOU for everybodys input & advice on my questions asked the other day! All of your advice is very helpful in my research & I will keep everyone posted on my findings & decision. Again, Thank You very much!
    Darrin