WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Business insurance & worker`s comp

We are currently shopping around for options on a business insurance provider.  However it has been quite difficult finding a business liability insurance carrier for our industry (personal assistant and concierge services).  Can anyone offer some insight or assistance???
Also, according to NC State law, after we have exceeded two employees, then we are required to carry worker`s compensation.  We currently have two employees, so I would like to setup the program in anticipation of employee growth.  Can anyone educate me in what I need to do to satisfy these requirements?
Many thanks!
Jim Newman
Co-Founder, Concierge
Concierge of Charlotte, LLC

Comments

• mytechdirectDOTnetmytechdirectDOTnet subscriber Posts: 2
    We spoke with our clients to see who they would recommend as an independent insurance agent. From there we spoke to a few of the agents and made a decision based on who we spoke with. Our agent resells for a few different insurance companies and he decided on Columbia Insurance Group for our line of work, IT services. Personally, I feel a lot better about being able to go see my agent and have him or one of his staff deal with the insurance company than having to do so myself. The only contact we have had with the company was an audit, which most companies will do to make sure your not exceeding the amount of revenue you stated and when they called to issue a refund for over charging after our audit came in and our revenues were lower than expected.
    Long story short, look for an independent agent.
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Your state`s insurance commissioner would be a good resource. In my neck of the woods, the insurance commissioner`s website has a lot of good business-startup information.
    Having said that, I`ve always found that comparison shopping for insurance (or anything else, for that matter) to be an excellent way not only to educate myself but also on getting the best deal.
    Kevin
  • infinique3infinique3 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Most people tend to ignore this but it is really important.