WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Please Critique My Site

DMorrisDMorris subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Website Critique
Hello everyone!!

I have just started this home-based business and need my website critiqued. Although there is no secret that I am home-based, I want to come across as professional as possible.

Thanks,

Denise

http://verbatimsupport.com/default.aspx

DMorris1/29/2008 3:47 PM

Comments

• Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Denise, overall your site`s not too bad, but you should add your pic. And where are your testimonials? Also, you should publish your contact information. As it stands right now, your website just doesn`t instill very much trust. That`s going to hurt you, if it hasn`t already.
    Dale King
    DKing1/29/2008 4:30 PM
  • Options
    Hi Dale,

Thanks for your critique. Do you mean that I should expand on the contact information on the home page?

Denise
  • Options
    Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your critique. What kind of work can the design use?

Denise
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Copy wise, it`s decent.
    How can you say that?  Barely halfway through the site I am finding a lot of passive voice, passive verbs, and excessive redundancy.
    Don`t say: "I can do this.."  Instead say: "Your Virtual Assistant will do this."
    In your "Contact me" line you give the potential client not just one exit window, but two.  In the same sentence.  Every time you say "if", you give the potential client the option to say "no, I`m not ready".  Don`t provide that option.  If the potential client has read that far, then tell them, don`t ask, tell them to call to discuss what their Virtual Assistant can do for them.
    On the site design, naming the home page "Home" is a rookie flag and will likely be ignored by search engines.  Maybe, "Your Virtual Assistant" would be more appropriate.
    Your clock icon is overused.  Find other icons that also indicate time, even other clocks.
  • Options
    GetanewpairGetanewpair subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello everyone!  I would be grateful for your comments about my site.  We are a home-based online retailer and will launch tomorrow [sorry if you happen to get this just now ): ], although the site is already live so we can check on linkage problems, I just happen to come across your comments and reviews on other sites.
    http://www.getanewpair.com
    Thanks so much for your input!
    Best regards,  Ernesto
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your critique. That`s the meat and potatoes I`m looking for!

Denise
  • Options
    Hi Craig,

I think I understand what you mean about "blocks" of visual information. That actually crossed my mind while creating the site. I thought it would look more professional without too many bells and whistles. I am going to re-visit that though. Thanks.

Denise
  • Options
    luvmandlevmluvmandlevm subscriber Posts: 2
    I agree with Steve.  The the different tenses and voices made it difficult.  Remove the overly repeated descriptions of what you do and turn them into "closing" sales pitches.  Tell the potential customer/client they can`t do without you. 
    Instead of  using the words "type some reports..."  you could say something to the degree of "prepare and review" etc.  Capitalize your bullet points and try to keep them approx. the same length.  Mention how security/privacy/confidentiality works.

Do you offer transcription services?
  • Options
    You guys are awesome! You`ve given me so much direction. I`ve got a big project to get to work on tomorrow, but rest assured I will put these suggestions in motion the moment I have time. Marcelle, I don`t offer transcription at the moment, but it`s on my to do list. Thanks.