WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Press release right now or later?

beachdibeachdi subscriber Posts: 10
edited November 2007 in Public Relations
Hi All,
Should I send press releases now, or rather when my website launches in 2 weeks?
OR should I wait at least a month to make sure I can handle the whole process of orders, shipping, inventory tracking etc.   I am a 1 girl show and have never sold anything on line before.   I will have a retail website selling my products.   Plus my inventory is probably not as large as it should be as I ran out of money and once the stock is gone I need to have more tshirts screenprinted.   
when do you start PR?   Start contacting local newspapers etc.
Dianne

Comments

• beachdibeachdi subscriber Posts: 10
    Jennifer,
    Fantastic advice.   After reading this it seemed so obvious...now why didn`t I know that?  Because you are the professional.      I will work on my press release kit, which I will make available for download online by Christmas.  
    I am very glad to be taking it slow.   It will give me plenty of practice and therefore I will be ready for the spring/summer large orders.
    Engraver- valid point.  I am sure our local papers would want to see the website and know more about my customers...(what customers)?? 
    thank you,
    Dianne
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Dianne,

Great advice! This way, you`ll also get the practice you need doing interviews with smaller media venues before the "big" shows start calling.

One tiny note for taking it slow...Are you trying to be the "first to market" with your business? If so, you need to work faster and get the word out to a targeted group of people who will be ready to write about your business when you are ready to go. You may want to look into "exclusives" with the media now. And have these go out prior to your big press release. After all, you do need to have a good, working product when you start, but it would be horrible if while you are working on all the kinks and taking it slow, someone else announces their same service before you do.  Just a thought...

Thanks,
    Melanie