WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Starting New Business - Questions... Please Help

FLGalFLGal subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2006 in Business Planning
I`m starting a new business and have some questions... I`ll be selling higher end merchandise to a very specific demographic via a webpage and my network within this community.
I have a few unanswered questions, and just found this board and hope someone may be able to help.
-What are the best manufacturer/distributor webpages you`ve found? Does anyone have any experience with "drop shipping" sites? I doubt they would have the products I`m going to be selling, but the concept interests me.
-What web hosting company do you recommend for a professional place on the internet with excellent resources? I currently have another site hosted by Yahoo Small Business, but haven`t found their tools particulary helpful...
-How much should someone starting a business like the above invest into their products to start?
-Is there any formula to know how much lower end merchandise to purchase vs. the higher end items?
I appreciate your time reading this and any help you may be able to provide.

Comments

• CandeeCandee subscriber Posts: 0
    I am getting info from www.productsourcer.com</A> but haven`t had the opp. to read it all yet. if you want to check it out. If anyone is familiar with it please let us know.I`m going to research it today so I can get started on a future website.
  • davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
    Q:What are the best manufacturer/distributor webpages you`ve found?
    Does anyone have any experience with "drop shipping" sites? I doubt
    they would have the products I`m going to be selling, but the concept
    interests me.A:  Your best is to go to store that sell similar product that you are going to sell and learn who the big suppliers are...just ask the manager.  I use to own a wholesale t-shirt company and knowing who the big players where saved us thousands of dollars.
    Q:What web hosting company do you recommend for a professional place
    on the internet with excellent resources? I currently have another site
    hosted by Yahoo Small Business, but haven`t found their tools
    particulary helpful...A: I can tell you a couple good companys, the best are 1&1 and godaddy, dont use ipowerweb, they really hurt us on one of our websites.
    Q:How much should someone starting a business like the above invest into their products to start?A: Not counting inventory, you are probably going to need to invest 2-5k in graphic design, (logo, brand etc) 2-5k in the website, 2-5k a month in marketing & advertising budget. I did not know if you were going to have an office of any employees but these will be your staple start up exp.
    Q:Is there any formula to know how much lower end merchandise to purchase vs. the higher end items?A: please refraise this question so that I can understand what you asking.  Not having any idea about what time of products you are selling I was assuming all your products were high end...keeping your brand consistant.
  • FLGalFLGal subscriber Posts: 1
    I checked out the site, but there seemed to be a lot of dead links.
  • FLGalFLGal subscriber Posts: 1

Q:What are the best manufacturer/distributor webpages you`ve found? Does anyone have any experience with "drop shipping" sites? I doubt they would have the products I`m going to be selling, but the concept interests me.
    A:  Your best is to go to store that sell similar product that you are going to sell and learn who the big suppliers are...just ask the manager.  I use to own a wholesale t-shirt company and knowing who the big players where saved us thousands of dollars.
    Q:What web hosting company do you recommend for a professional place on the internet with excellent resources? I currently have another site hosted by Yahoo Small Business, but haven`t found their tools particulary helpful...
    A: I can tell you a couple good companys, the best are 1&1 and godaddy, dont use ipowerweb, they really hurt us on one of our websites.
    Q:How much should someone starting a business like the above invest into their products to start?
    A: Not counting inventory, you are probably going to need to invest 2-5k in graphic design, (logo, brand etc) 2-5k in the website, 2-5k a month in marketing & advertising budget. I did not know if you were going to have an office of any employees but these will be your staple start up exp.
    Q:Is there any formula to know how much lower end merchandise to purchase vs. the higher end items?
    A: please refraise this question so that I can understand what you asking.  Not having any idea about what time of products you are selling I was assuming all your products were high end...keeping your brand consistant.

Thanks for the answers, I particulary like the just ask! Makes sense. As far as the last question, we`ll be selling jewelry to a specific market. Of course there are lower end-high end pieces and then you have the high end. What ratio of products should I purchase of each? Hope that makes more sense.
    Anyone else?
  • kate1040kate1040 subscriber Posts: 0
    Regarding web hosting..... I am a very happy GoDaddy customer.
  • dalexdalex subscriber Posts: 4
    I do web design, I have used godaddy and lunarpages.com I like lunarpages better if it is for ecommerce try something like monstercommerce.com good luck on your quest.
  • DefMallDefMall subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I hate to be a rain bringer instead of a rain MAKER, but let me share with you 2 BAD experiences I`ve had, so that no one repeats my mistakes:
    1) I built an online store using NetFirms. They were SO inexpensive. Well, now I know why. You really DO get what you pay for. Their tech support is terrible, and if you don`t know anything about HTML you are dead in the water. They are nice enough people, but this is NOT the template for someone who is just learning e-commerce...unless you have a friend who can re-tool the basic format for you!
    2) I was using Universal Banner/Get-e-Store as my wholesaler for a while. Again, they must have ahad a change in management or someting because they simply do NOT return phone calls or e-mails! Perhaps the worst customer service ANYwhere! They even tell you outright that their phone nnumber is ONLY for billing questions, and they want you to e-mail Customer Service questions. (Which they do not respond to!).  Example - on 10/23 Universal Banner promised me a $50.00 refund for their lack of service...As of this writing, I have yet to get it.
    Sorry to be a crybaby..but if you are considering using either of these firms you need to have this info. I have been a Sales Manager for 20 years, and I have NO respect for firms that do not return phone calls, answer e-mails or attempt to QUICKLY solve customer problems!
    As far as High End merchandise is concerned, my `day` job is wholesaling high end Office Products here: www.NPSG.com/products.html</A>

• infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You should get a store and Yahoo Store. It comes with hosting. It's really suitable for beginners like you.