WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Does this sound normal to many of you?

broncobronco subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Business Planning
Well, where to start?  I`m a newbie here, though I`ve been listening to the Startupnation podcasts for quite a while, and I`ve also read the Startupnation book along with other such books as well.  But anyway, I`m still in the daydreaming phase of starting my own business (I`m not quite sure which direction to go in yet), but without question I want to figure out exactly what I want to do and get it off the ground soon.  I`ve saved quite a bit of money for the venture (about 30k, which doesn`t include 150k in home equity and other savings), I have no debts, and my overall credit is outstanding.  Also, I`m relatively young (late 20`s) with no children and a fiance who shares my passion/vision as well. 
My main problem at this point is not only figuring out exactly what I want to do (I have many interests/ideas at this point), but especially overcoming the fear I have of cutting all ties and going out on my own.  I currently make a very good income at my current job, which I enjoy overall---but I`m simply not passionate about it, mainly due to the fact that I`ve always wanted to own my own business and work for myself.  Overall, I have days where my confidence is high (I feel as if I`m about to achieve a breakthrough), while other days my confidence is quite low (I feel like starting a business and getting it off the ground is a pipe dream, and will never happen.) 
With that being said, does all of this sound normal to any of you?  Are these typical feelings and emotions that I`m going through?  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, and I look forward to talking with many of you in near future.  Thanks.
Mike

Comments

• InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    I don`t know how much business experience you have but I would recommend staying gainfully employed until you figure this out. Get a few books on business and perhaps spend some time with small business owners. Most business fail because most people who start businesses are inexperienced. It`s just that simple. You`ll have a much better chance of success if you figure out "what you don`t know" first and spend some time learning. An obsessive focus on learning the fundamentals of business never hurt anyone who was interested in running one of their own.
  • twocornertwocorner subscriber Posts: 3
    Yes... your concerns are all normal...keep at it!
  • smartiesmartie subscriber Posts: 1
    Mike,
    Please don`t despair. We all fight with the monster within us somedays. It`s that voice that say "what if you fail" what if you can`t succeed` and so on. Try to read positive material, stick with like minded people, say no to the critical so called friends and believe in yourself.
    I struggled with my J.O.B. for years before I took the plunge into my own business. And even though I struggle too at times, it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life! Nothing beats working for yourself and challenging your boundaries. All I can say is
    ---> Go for it mate
    To your Success
    Monika
  • homesweettheaterhomesweettheater subscriber Posts: 1
    Bronco,Wow, First I would like to say I am very excited for you. Although, I wish my finances would have looked like yours when I started. I began in the working world book reading phase as well. After several initial ideas fell through, a year later I was still working my day job, wanting to tell someone where to stick it every day. In my rush to commit hara-kiri I came to a realization. In my case I decided that there was a reason why I kept coming back to starting a biz, and that no one was responsible for my happiness but myself. I wasn`t going to be happy until I was on my own.I designed a new tattoo to remind me. I put a skeleton-key on my chest, so everyday, I see it as a reminder to keep myself on track and working towards independance. It has done a good job so far and I officially launched September 4th!In repose, I ended up having to just suck it up and push on, throwing a dollar or two at it as I could and then just racked up my credit card for a "Just in time" purchase of what I needed for my fist client. At least the job paid enough to cover the credit card bills for a month or two. Now I am just trying to keep a positive attitude and find more work! Good news is I haven`t quit my job yet, so I still have a contingency plan!BTW... I forgot to mention. Yes, I was already a tattoo collector before!
    homesweettheater2006-11-13 15:52:27