WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

"Single Again" Mom needs help

craftladycraftlady subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Sales
Hello everyone.  I`m a single mother trying to make ends meet.  I work full time and trying to get my craft business off the ground in my spare time.  I created a website and get less than 100 hits a month...still no sales. 

I need some advice.  I`m not sure what to do anymore.  I am not able to attend craft shows on the weekend because I have to work.  I also make awesome pound cakes and use that recipe for my wedding cakes but I can`t advertise that I make those from my home in SC.  I`ve tried selling a few items on ebay with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Beth in SC

www.bethandcompany.net

Comments

• besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi Beth,
    I would suggest that you also get out and post/hand out informational brochures/fliers about your services/products. Go and share them with churches, schools, etc. Let people know that you are in business and that they can place their orders on line, etc.
    I wish you great success...........
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Beth:

I would contact local bakeries and see if they would be interested in you making their cakes. The cakes you have displayed on your website, if it is for a wedding, I would be sure it appears to be in a wedding environment such as a hall. I would have better images, close up of the cake and very dramatic looking. The decorated cakes with the fruit are beautiful and I loved the orange and white cake with the name written on the side.

Also, try this website to post your crafts... www.etsy.com there is a fee to post your images but it is .20 per image and it may be worthwhile.

Good Luck and keep us posted on developments.

Colleen

• craftladycraftlady subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone for the advice. 

Craig, I see what you mean.  Thanks for the review.  It`s well appreciated.

Beth
  • ToniM25ToniM25 subscriber Posts: 1
    If you are in need of some help with marketing such as fliers or business cards I offer free graphic design services and would love to help you out. http://www.graphicdesigns4you.com
    I can design anything that can be printed I do not do any work on websites.  Hope I can help.
  • Lynn59Lynn59 subscriber Posts: 1
    You offer some beautiful things on your site, and you seem to have a real knack at crafts. Having a website is important for any business, but without advertising and marketing it, it`s like opening a store in an alley without a sign. Nobody knows you`re there. In addition to the wonderful marketing and website suggestions already posted, have you considered online advertising directed to your area? Also, you might want to write some brief articles on your website about crafts, weddings, etc., and use plenty of key words so that you can be found by some of the search engines.

Social networking has also helped me a great deal to get prospects, and then to eventually convert those prospects into clients. A very casual type of network, which may have some connections in your area, is meetup.com. Find a marketing meetup, do your best to attend a couple of meetings, and you may find it to be an excellent resource of marketing and advertising ideas.

Good luck!

Lynn
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

You offer some beautiful things on your site, and you seem to have a real knack at crafts. Having a website is important for any business, but without advertising and marketing it, it`s like opening a store in an alley without a sign. Nobody knows you`re there. In addition to the wonderful marketing and website suggestions already posted, have you considered online advertising directed to your area? Also, you might want to write some brief articles on your website about crafts, weddings, etc., and use plenty of key words so that you can be found by some of the search engines. Social networking has also helped me a great deal to get prospects, and then to eventually convert those prospects into clients. A very casual type of network, which may have some connections in your area, is meetup.com. Find a marketing meetup, do your best to attend a couple of meetings, and you may find it to be an excellent resource of marketing and advertising ideas.
    Agreed Lynn!  One of the first things I would suggest is definitely get on the marketing and advertising.  Anyone can have a website but if you don`t stand out among your competitors all you will get is around 100 hits a month.   I would also suggest considering a web site re-design to help streamline your site and to help draw/keep the customers.