WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Getting my feet wet but need your advice!

blogjunkieblogjunkie subscriber Posts: 3
edited July 2007 in Business Planning
Hi everyone! My name is David and I`m a new member. I`ve just handed in my resignation letter yesterday and am looking forward to freelancing full time once I serve my one month`s notice. The prospect is exciting for me but I`ve got a ball of butterflies in my stomach all the same. Would appreciate your thoughts on these questions:1) My main goal is to see how viable my business idea (online marketing and new media consulting) is and how well-suited I am to being my own boss. I`ve decided to give myself 2 months to see how it pans out. If it doesn`t I`ll look for a full-time job again Is 2 months enough to learn significantly about running my own business? What should I do to make the most out of these 2 months?2) One thing I`m worried about is managing money/book-keeping, mostly so I can keep track of how much revenue I`ve managed to generate in the 2 months. Any tips on book-keeping and managing cash flow?Thanks guys!

Comments

• blogjunkieblogjunkie subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi nikole, thanks for your advice. Perhaps I should clarify my goals. I basically want to get a taste of entrepreneurship in this 2 months. Call it practical research. I admire your "all or nothing" attitude but with hardly any experience, I just don`t think its a good idea for me to jump in with both feet.I`ve had a look at your website and I think NHG is what I aspire my venture to be hopefully. Since you`re in the industry I`m trying to join, I wanted to ask you how I should split my time. What do you think of this schedule:Monday: Business Development & MarketingTuesday: Meetings & consultations Wednesday: Designing & Coding Thursday: Designing & Coding Friday: Learning Thanks again for the advice. Cheers!
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I agree - don`t give up after 2 months.
  • blogjunkieblogjunkie subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Clearly I need a bit more planning before jumping into full-time entrepreneurship. I`ll be sure to get advice from all the SuN experts. Cheers!
  • ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
    Instead of 2 months, try 2 years to see if you got what it takes.
    Remember, most over night successes take about 15 to 20 years.