WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Link Building

ethanlevin123ethanlevin123 subscriber Posts: 1
Hi guys,
I am new in the field of seo. I have a website related to travel and tourism. As a start, i have decided to submit it to a lot of submissions site. Do you think that this will increase the traffic to my site.
Suggestions welcome!!

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    If you mean directories, probably not, unless they are travel related directories, and even then it may not do much good. Link exchanges with other sites related to travel that are not direct competitors to your site will do more good than directory listings.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I have a website related to travel and tourism. As a start, i have decided to submit it to a lot of submissions site. Do you think that this will increase the traffic to my site.

I personally think that`s a complete waste of time. Instead, try to acquire lots of inbound links from quality,  relevant websites - preferably with a higher PageRank than your site.

David Jackson
  • ElementalUnityElementalUnity subscriber Posts: 3
    But if you mean social bookmarking sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, De.licious than I do think that you can get a new surge of vistors.
  • TrafficVaultTrafficVault subscriber Posts: 0
    Travel should be a good area for getting links.  People always like to talk about their trips.  Find other sites about travel that you can request links from.  Also travel related products.  For example, if look at sites that sell luggage or travel insurance or even photo sites as people will have pictures after their trip.
    But if you mean social bookmarking sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, De.licious than I do think that you can get a new surge of vistors.

But what good is having traffic that doesn`t buy anything? Traffic from those sites is notoriously low-quality.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson6/18/2009 10:17 AM
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The two actions (getting traffic from Digg, Twitter, Stumbleupon, etc versus visitors buying something)  are not mutually exclusive.

True conversions from Digg traffic is typically very low. But the point of this thread was how to increase traffic to a web site.  It is usually always good to get more traffic especially through in-bound links (keyword/text based), because it helps the site in search results.

Two general keys to generating sales from traffic are: (1) get qualified/relevant traffic - people that get to your site because it has something they want. and (2) have a site that does not have roadblocks to people who want to buy.

Key (1) can be achieved with relevant keyword in-bound links and SEO.
    Key (2) can be achieved by following three factors that make a sale.

~Roland
    True that these sites don`t have a high conversion rate.  But these people might not only just visit, they might tweet your link.  But you are right, the real value is in-bound links!  Go to places like forums, create a good signature after you post about a dozen or so good quality replies or even start your own topics. 
    Travel should be a good area for getting links.  People always like to talk about their trips.  Find other sites about travel that you can request links from.  Also travel related products.  For example, if look at sites that sell luggage or travel insurance or even photo sites as people will have pictures after their trip.

This is outstanding advice. Outstanding!

David Jackson

I think I remember reading two weeks ago that Google might start penalizing for no follow links.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I think I remember reading two weeks ago that Google might start penalizing for no follow links.

Google changed how they treat nofollow links for PageRank a while ago.
    TO deal with Page sculpting.

Matt Cutts discussion of nofollow links

• BoristheSEOBoristheSEO subscriber Posts: 1
    Directory submissions are a waste of time if the only purpose is to generate backlinks. Google has removed all reference to using directories from its Webmaster Central blog. The only directories that are helpful are those that edit and reject submissions. Very few sites do this.
    Yahoo offers the chance to get into their directory for a $299.00 fee. There is no gaurantee that your site will be included and that`s why it is still useful. However, that`s a steep price for one link. You can also try the DMOZ directory. It however rejects most website on the first attempt. Outside of those two sites directory submissions are mainly useless.
    Directories played a huge role in the infancy of the internet but the usefulness faded with the creation of search engines.
    If you found this information useful we would ask that you consider voting for us in the Home 100 Contest
  • SamanthaGSamanthaG subscriber Posts: 0
    Forget the link exchanges. "You vote for me and I`ll vote for you" has been frowned on by the SEs for quite some time and they CAN detect these. Getting links from sites is really quite easy these days and remember that the higher the Page Rank, the more the site helps you. PR is really a misnomer and you can`t get anything accurate - but it does give you an idea of the quality of the site who is linking to you.SamanthaG7/20/2009 2:37 PM
  • JRedd77JRedd77 subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve found that paying for links/listings in the older, recognized directories (like Yahoo!) have a positive imapct on page rank. 
    I would definitely advise against signing up for hundreds or thousands of free direcorties just to build links, a waste of time and money.  There are a few free directories worth your time like DMOZ.

A limited number of quality link exchanges can be helpful, just make sure your link will be on a page that has relavant content, a decent PR, and isn`t burried deep with a site.

</a>

JRedd777/22/2009 10:13 AM
  • nancywhitenancywhite subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with DavidJackson and ElementalUnity. If you`re looking for targeted, high quality traffic you shouldn`t waste your time with directory links.
    If I were you I would look for popular blogs in your niche and start commenting on their posts. Once you have a "relashionship" established you can contact the autors and ask them for link exchange, or maybe a guest post.
  • nsausernsauser subscriber Posts: 1
    One of the best ways to get backlinks is to create content.  This will help your site in a few ways, one you get fresh relevant content for your site (always important), and if the blog post/article is distributed properly and people see the content as helpful, you`ll get backlinks and your content may even go viral.
    Content is King, behold the possibilities!Local Search Marketing is the new game.nsauser8/3/2009 5:21 PM