WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

7 Things I`ve Learned About Twitter

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited August 2009 in Marketing
I`ve been involved with Twitter for approximately 1 month now, and I`ve learned a few things that have enabled me to use Twitter very effectively:

You need to have a clear and concise vision how you`re going to use Twitter. You need to know going in exactly what you want from Twitter.  Are you going to use Twitter as a serious business tool, or for casual, social purposes? What is your end game?

You can use Twitter anyway you like. You can use it to build a mailing list - to announce specials or discounts - to take surveys - to announce new blog posts. Brick and mortar stores can use it to pre-take orders for pickup, like one coffee shop is doing. Authors can use it to post book excerpts. I`ll soon be using it to announce the launch of my new website, Reviews-by-Customers.com. I could go on and on and on. The point is you are limited only by your imagination.

3. Twitter works. In the approximately 4 weeks I`ve been using Twitter, I`ve increased my affiliate sales and my traffic. I`ve made invaluable business contacts and a few friends. That being said, Twitter is not a panacea. It`s a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. And it`s only as effective as the person using it.

It isn`t necessary to follow thousands of people to get the most out of Twitter. You can if you want to of course, but in my opinion, following that many people is counter-productive. Besides, it`s impossible to follow thousands of people and actually read what each one of them has to say. After awhile, following thousands of people becomes background noise. I was following nearly everyone who followed me - well over 1000 people. But I`ve recently cut that total nearly in half. I`m currently following approximately 500 people. I`m only interested in following people who I find interesting, have something of value to say, and who keep the personal chit-chat to a minimum.

The people who are the most successful on Twitter give value. Be it business tips, articles, free reports, free software downloads, etc. They spend the majority of their time giving value, and helping others. They don`t bombard their followers with spam, and they don`t spend the majority of their time talking about what they had for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

You have to participate. Get involved in conversations. Even if no one responds to you everytime, people do take notice of who participates and who sits on the sidelines. If someone tweets something you like and you think others would like it as well, retweet (RT) it to your followers.

Reach out to others. Even though I`m new to Twitter, I`ve already reached out to people who can help me get to where I want to go. For example, I`ve reached out to one lady who is a PR expert, and  is constantly being interviewed on national television. I`ve also reached out to a blogger with a national radio show and 100,000 followers. A few people have reached out to me as well. Reach out!
David Jackson

DavidJackson7/23/2009 2:22 PM

Comments

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Thanks for the tips and advice!

You`re quite welcome, Carla!

David Jackson
  • VannieVannie subscriber Posts: 0
    As I was checking my e-mails, the subject and title of this post caught my attention. I have recently started thinking about using Twitter, however, I did wonder if I had anything to offer or could offer in one or two short sentences. Also, I wondered how would Twitter benefit my business. The advice given here has me thinking differently about Twitter.
    Thanks much.

• pricelessyonapricelessyona subscriber Posts: 0
    Vannie,
    I thought the same thing about using Twitter for personal and business reasons and resisted for quite some time. However, my business partner (writeforyou) encouraged the transition of our business into the world of Twitter and it has been quite successful. We have been able to: stay current in our field and writing nichesparticipate in Twitter chat conferences for educational (and promotional) purposesconnect with like-minded individualsdrive traffic to our website and blogsadvertise our services and market our workgain inspiration for blog posts and articles
    When not abused, Twitter is a great resource and business tool.
    -Yona
  • ShannonAroninShannonAronin subscriber Posts: 0
    The only thing I would add is to use the right tools. Tweetdeck for me is so valuable. Also check out the WeAreMedia wiki for more useful tools! Learn to use search, link tracking, Retweets, #FollowFriday & other hashtags.
  • proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
    David,

Great to see you on Twitter, David. Proof that in sales and marketing, one should never dismiss a skeptic. As for Twitter itself, I wouldn`t spend every waking moment trying to build my business there, but for the sole purpose of adding value to a dialog, campaign, or business relationship, potential followers do appreciate good information.
    I`ll tell you one thing-- the “micro” factor appeals to me as time (as they say) is our most precious commodity.
    proactive16/2/2009 12:58 PM
  • VannieVannie subscriber Posts: 0
    Yona,

Thanks for posting, you give me further reason to jump into the very largeTwitter pool.
  • elliperryelliperry subscriber Posts: 0
    I really appreciate this article. I have a new business and am a newbee to Twitter, as well. Thanks! Ellie Perry
  • ExecuteesExecutees subscriber Posts: 0
    I like Twitter. It`s a great tool to network, and just to talk to folks about interesting topics daily.

Tracy Wright

http://executees.net

I did wonder if I had anything to offer or could offer in one or two short sentences. Also, I wondered how would Twitter benefit my business. The advice given here has me thinking differently about Twitter. Thanks much.

Thank you, Vannie! Glad I could help.

David Jackson
    Thank you David
    Thank you all.Great tips.

Thanks, Christos!

David Jackson

David,
     Great to see you on Twitter, David.    Good to see you, Chuck! David Jackson
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Hey Deb,

I`m now "following" you on Twitter.

Schedule? As I posted on SuN back in April, it`s good to have a plan to use Twitter.
    You can continue random Tweets and following people... but in order to more effectively reach the people / market you want a planned approach is better.

Here`s a simple four step plan (it`s not the only approach, but a relatively simple one to start):

(1) Identify key Twitter terms- Similar to SEO and marketing your business one of the first steps is to define your target market. Who are they, what are they seeking, and important for SEO and Twitter - what are the keywords/phrases relevant to them? For example,  if I sell golf instruction videos.... a key Twitter word may be "golf" or "golf` lessons".  If I sell jerky - then "jerky", "beef jerky"... would be a start.

(2) Search for Twitter terms - Now that you`ve identified your key Twitter terms, Twitter makes it easy to find people Twittering about those terms. You just perform a search using each term and a list of Tweets containing your target term will be provided.

I recommend using Tweet Deck. With Tweet Deck you can set up one or more searches on your targeted terms and Tweet Deck will continually monitor Twitter for those terms and show you the relevant Tweets.

Many of the Tweets you find will be people that fit into your target market... people with an interest in your targeted Twitter term(s).

(3) Follow your Twitter terms - from the search results, follow those that interest you. Remember, you can post on Twitter all you want, but most people will not see your Tweets unless they are following you... and you will not see their tweets unless you follow them.

(4) Provide useful content/Tweets and interact - This is a critical practice. Don`t just sell sell sell on Twitter. Although you see a lot of that - people selling something with every post they make. People who are successful on Twitter recognize it is a social environment and interact with their fellow Twitterers.

Offer tips useful to your target market. If the tips don`t fit within 140 characters... provide a link to the complete tip (an article, blog, or website - yes, your website, or blog). <--- see you`re generating traffic to your site.

Write like a newspaper headline - with a catchy few words summarizing the tip, then the link. Since you only have 140 characters - use a url shortening tools to make the url link short. Again, Tweet Deck helps you here... it has a built in url shortening tool.

Schedule?  Check your Tweet Deck once, twice, or more every day... to view the search results, follow people, and interact.  Remember, Twitter is 24/7 and world wide so some people a wide awake and posting while you sleep. How much time, is up to you... but with a plan and Tweet Deck your time is more productive.

~Roland

vwebworld6/3/2009 12:03 AM
    Great article and you are correct you need to know how you are going to use it and make sure the content of what you are sending is of value.

Thank you very much, Sharen! I appreciate your kind words.

David Jackson
    What type of schedule or time do you dedicate to twitter or other social networks?

I can`t speak for anyone else, but I devote very little time to Twitter. A few minutes in the morning, and a few minutes in the afternoon and evening. If you know what you`re doing, a few minutes on Twitter goes a long way.

David Jackson
    I am still new to the Twitter experience and I am not sure yet if it fits our business model. That being said I think it is worth a shot and I appreciate your insights.

At least you have an open mind about Twitter. Until recently, when it came to Twitter, my mind was closed tighter than a steel bear trap.  Needless to say, I`ve changed my tune.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson6/6/2009 10:13 AM