WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Trash Out Business

SallyPickSallyPick subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Marketing
My husband and I are thinking of starting our own "trash out" business and I would appreciate any and all advice and words of wisdom. We have both been in the retail and food business all our lives, so we have no experience with this new and booming business.
How do we market ourselves, how much do we charge, do we use employees or independent contractors, etc.
This business involves cleaning, painting, minor repairs, general landscaping, and hauling trash from foreclosed properties before the bank puts them up for sale. It`s booming here in N. CA and these "trash out" companies are raking it in.
Anyone here involved in this business who could give us some guidance? 
Thanks in advance!   
SallyPick4/23/2009 1:55 PM

Comments

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Sally, I don`t know if anyone here is involved in that type of business, but here`s what I would do. Go online and do a search for trash or junk hauling businesses in nearby states, and talk to the owners of those companies about what type of marketing works best for them.

Let them know that you live in another state, and won`t be competing with them directly. It`s been my experience that most business owners are happy to help out a colleague.

Another option is to contact one of the many trash/junk hauling franchises, pose as a prospect, and pick their brain. Request their information, and learn as much as you can about their business.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/23/2009 3:34 PM
  • SallyPickSallyPick subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks David, calling businesses out of state seems like a great idea .
    I was hesitant to call local people for the reason you mentioned, and am happy to hear that most business owners like to help out their colleagues. Gives me a little more confidence as I head to the phone.

Thanks again! 

SallyPick4/23/2009 3:36 PM

Thanks David, calling businesses out of state seems like a great idea . I was hesitant to call local people for the reason you mentioned, and am happy to hear that most business owners like to help out their colleagues. Gives me a little more confidence as I head to the phone. Thanks again!      Anytime, Sally. Best of luck to you!  David Jackson
    I have no idea if there are franchises, but we`re looking into starting our own company.
    The market for this is HOT HOT HOT right now due to all the foreclosures, and I see it as a great opportunity.
    It`s a very sad situation but "trash out" services are in huge demand right now.
    I have no idea if there are franchises, but we`re looking into starting our own company.

There are a million trash hauling franchises out there. I suspect like with many franchises, some of them are plain garbage!

David Jackson

"There are a million trash hauling franchises out there. I suspect like with many franchises, some of them are plain garbage!"

David Jackson

LOL David, I`m sure they are! 
    Sally, feel free to check out my Free Marketing Tips Blog as well.  And you can`t beat the price of my information!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/27/2009 2:10 PM
    Thanks David and Promoter11!
    I actually spent a lot of time at your site David, and found it to be very informative. I know I`ll be spending a lot more time there and want to thank you for the wealth of information and links you have provided. I need all the help I can get. 
    How do I do a "link-exchange" with a realtor?
    Do you have a link Promoter?

Thanks again guys! 
    I actually spent a lot of time at your site David, and found it to be very informative. I know I`ll be spending a lot more time there and want to thank you for the wealth of information and links you have provided. I need all the help I can get.  How do I do a "link-exchange" with a realtor?    It`s quite simple really. You just contact a local realtor or realtors, and offer to put their link on your website, if they will do the same in return. The key to link exchanges is location. A link that no one see`s is useless. So when doing link exchanges, make sure you request a prominent location. David JacksonDavidJackson4/27/2009 3:20 PM
    One thing you might consider would be taking a look at how much it would cost to buy into a franchise. The benefits there are all the support you get, not only in marketing but in business processes, advice, and general help.

I disagree, Craig. With a franchise, you`re $50,000 in the hole before you`ve made a dime. Under normal circumstances, maybe, but not in this economic climate. Sally has extensive business experience. She can figure this out without the support of a franchise.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/28/2009 5:42 PM
  • StevenSStevenS subscriber Posts: 1
    I have a client who is starting something similar with the foreclosure boom going on here in Los Angeles.
    I can tell you some of the obstacles you may run into starting this business. The first is finding the actual decision maker. As you know the California real estate market is a mess. Lenders are only now getting a hand on disposing their properties. Disposing the properties are their main concern.
    Managing the properties in the interim is something that I`m finding they are not interested in at all. For the most part the major banks in L.A. are dumping them as is on the Realtor and letting the Realtor worry about the headache.
    Even when you do find the decision maker they may want to see that you have some kind of experience providing the service. The last thing they want to do is sign someone to handle their properties that can`t deliver on the job.
    The company that I am working with is trying to get property management contracts with the banks to management vacant properties to keep them looking good even while their empty. You would think this would be a no-brainer for the bank because a property that is in good condition will be more valuable than one that`s boarded up with grass growing out of control. But we are still having a hard time convincing banks to spend the money.
    We have a couple that seem promising but we had to partner with a large property management company to get them to believe we have the resources and experience to get the job done.
    I have been involved with this company for 5 months, so I`ll let you know how things work out.stevens4/28/2009 7:56 PM
      I can tell you some of the obstacles you may run into starting this business. The first is finding the actual decision maker. As you know the California real estate market is a mess. Lenders are only now getting a hand on disposing their properties. Disposing the properties are their main concern.
    Managing the properties in the interim is something that I`m finding they are not interested in at all. For the most part the major banks in L.A. are dumping them as is on the Realtor and letting the Realtor worry about the headache.
    Even when you do find the decision maker they may want to see that you have some kind of experience providing the service. The last thing they want to do is sign someone to handle their properties that can`t deliver on the job.
    The company that I am working with is trying to get property management contracts with the banks to management vacant properties to keep them looking good even while their empty. You would think this would be a no-brainer for the bank because a property that is in good condition will be more valuable than one that`s boarded up with grass growing out of control. But we are still having a hard time convincing banks to spend the money.
    We have a couple that seem promising but we had to partner with a large property management company to get them to believe we have the resources and experience to get the job done.
    I have been involved with this company for 5 months, so I`ll let you know how things work out.

As always, the other side of the coin isn`t as shiny. Hopefully, Sally and her husband will do their due diligence.

David Jackson
  • britboy40britboy40 subscriber Posts: 0
    Sally,
    Have you and your husband started your trash-out business?
    Sally,
    Have you and your husband started your trash-out business?

I think Sally`s long gone. She hasn`t responded to this thread since she started it back in April.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson7/31/2009 8:12 AM
    As is often the case.

So true.

David Jackson