WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to best handle incoming calls?

StartupMike80StartupMike80 subscriber Posts: 2
Hi everyone,
I`m going to be launching a new internet business by the end of the month. All of the people in this market have an 1-800 number posted on their site to handle incoming calls/questions from customers. I have signed up for 1-800 service from RingCentral.com which basically allows you to have a virtual 1-800 that will forward to any number you specify, which meets my needs pretty well.
Here is my question....
I still work full time during the day, from about 8am-4:30pm. So, I`m not going to be around to answer the calls between that time. RingCentral.com also allows you to setup all the calls to forward to a virtual voice mail. I was thinking of just using voice mail, and then returning the calls when I get home from work.
My site is B2B, and has a subscription based revenue model, so one missed sale could mean a missed opportunity for $600+ revenue over the course of a year. That is, if they don`t leave a message.
I was thinking of using a virtual assistant, but I believe the volume of calls will be very low, especially in the beginning, so that may just be a waste of money. It would be nice if someone offered a charge per call model, but I have yet to investigate that. Quality might also suffer if I outsource it so early into the startup phase.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks everyone!
Mike

Comments

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Just use a basic answering service with an 800 number.

David Jackson
  • Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    Have it forwarded to your cell phone.  I got 2 pay-as-you-go cells for that.
  • BlenderhouseBlenderhouse subscriber Posts: 0
    Juggling a business while having a full time job is always difficult. I did it for a few years and missed a few opportunities because I couldn`t get to the phone during the day. I would try to have your 800 number forwarded to you cell phone if possible. If you get a call from your 800 number while at work step out to use the bathroom or get some coffee and call them back. I had to do that many times. It`s not ideal, but hopefully your business jumps off quickly and you won`t need the full time job anymore!
  • dirk33dirk33 subscriber Posts: 0
    I provide custom call center solutions for individuals - nationwide multi-branch companies. Everything from virtual receptionist to high end customer service solutions. Our experience is that more and more people want instant communication/contact when looking for goods/services and simply will not leave a message.

Many of our clients are in a service industry (HVAC, Construction, ect). Take a small shop `plumber` for example. Many of them use vm/answering machine throughout the day. Customers with immediate needs will go through a directory and call biz after biz until someone answers the phone. Today you can`t afford to miss even one lead. For most small biz, just one extra client a month could pay for your phone service for many months if not the entire year.

I’m a former radio Account Executive, so I’m very familiar with the business environment and very knowledgeable about business marketing, advertising and promotion. I look at ways we can help business retain/serve current clients, generate more leads and most importantly for after hours phone calls – You get the calls you need to immediately and screen the rest to hold for the next day.

A live person answering works better and results in more happy customers, sales, fewer hang-ups and ultimately a better bottom line. Voice Mail on the other hand results in a huge amount of lost revenue and frustrated clients.

Dirk
  • DaveBDaveB subscriber Posts: 0
    i personally know someone working as a virtual assistant. i mean, for your industry, it is too costly to skip and miss calls. i would say you should hire one if you really need one